• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Having another wizard in the group...does it suck?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I'd like to echo the others and say two wizards are better than one. If you both spec in different schools (even opposing schools, if such is a thing anymore) and don't share specialty spells, you'll each have your niche well-protected.

I tend to get mad when players play the same class as me; one guy in particular from my group always ends up wanting to do the same thing I am with a character and it's frustrating to no end. We're only three players, so there's really no reason for it.

I'm a bit disturbed by some of the answers here.

People should be allowed to play whatever they want. This edition is not designed around needing each class filled. Why should you voice a concern if another player wants to play the same class? What exactly is the concern?

Paraxis

Explorer
I'm a bit disturbed by some of the answers here.

People should be allowed to play whatever they want. This edition is not designed around needing each class filled. Why should you voice a concern if another player wants to play the same class? What exactly is the concern?

For me it comes down to shared spotlight time. In a group you have different skills and abilities to deal with situations, when another character has the same set of skills and abilities it diminishes my characters uniqueness.

If I am playing the group rogue and scout, I want to be the character that stealths ahead and searches for traps and listens at doors. I don't want another person tagging along.

Think of a movie or tv series with a group of heroes, you have the guy who is socially skilled, than the guy who is great at computers, another guy who is a gunfighter, stuff like that. You don't need two computer hackers as main characters.

Uchawi

First Post
Typically, two of any caster is a lot easier to remain unique and diverse versus two martial characters, but I always let my group know when I invite new players. As a standard I discuss it with them first. I have seen player dynamics go bad at a table, when we invite someone new that no one is familiar with. The chances are greater there will be a clash in play styles.

Wolfskin

Explorer
I have no issues whatsoever in a DM inviting other players, as long as everyone gets equal treatment and he doesn't play favorites.

Regarding two Wizards in the party, I've ran Lost Mines of Phandelver with such a party (the five pregens plus a human wizards) and even though they were both Evokers they complemented each other well- sharing spellbooks, taking which spells to prepare in advance, and so on.

S'mon

Legend
1. Two wizards is a lot better than one player with two PCs when everyone else has 1 PC.
Play the Barbarian.

2. It is the GM's preogrative to set the parameters for table recruitment. He should make it clear though - "this is an open table" or "I will be inviting new players now and then" or even "I will consult you before recruiting new players" - the last is far from default IME.

I think you are looking at the two wizard situation all wrong. A second wizard in the party is an opportunity for all kinds of amusing shenanigans. Having a single wizard in the party is like being an only child. When something magically mischievous occurs, you KNOW who did it. A pair of wizards can have great fun with prestidigitation, pantsing the fighter and pointing to the other wizard to shift blame.

Remember that no matter what classes are in the party, you are a team. Wizards gotta stick together.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
As for Wizards specifically (assuming cloned characters): with the limitations of Concentration, having a pair of wizards allows for some potent combos if they work together, especially at higher levels with limited spell slots.
This. Concentration means that 5E may be the best version of D&D to have multiple wizards in a party in.

wedgeski

Adventurer
How do you all feel about 2 wizards in a party together? What is your experience with this? Also, how do you feel about the DM inviting player after player without first talking to the players?
I've never considered classes to be something you get dibs on. I generally want players to play the class they want to play. That's not to say that a party full of one class would be optimal (for whatever definition of that word floats your boat), but that's a far cry from two wizards.

As for consulting the existing players about inviting new people...yes, I would, and do. If your beef was that you didn't want the new guy because he wanted to play the same class as you, I wouldn't let that stop me. Sometimes, though, the party dynamic is just so good and so fruitful, that it would be foolhardy to introduce an unknown into the mix, and I've had groups that resisted expansion on those grounds.

Shiroiken

Legend
For me it comes down to shared spotlight time. In a group you have different skills and abilities to deal with situations, when another character has the same set of skills and abilities it diminishes my characters uniqueness.

If I am playing the group rogue and scout, I want to be the character that stealths ahead and searches for traps and listens at doors. I don't want another person tagging along.

Think of a movie or tv series with a group of heroes, you have the guy who is socially skilled, than the guy who is great at computers, another guy who is a gunfighter, stuff like that. You don't need two computer hackers as main characters.
I personally find this a bit selfish. Even if you don't have class overlap, you still can have type overlap. To you use your scout example: who's stepping on who's toes if both the rouge and ranger want to scout? What about the high dex illusionist who picked up stealth to work magic from the shadows?

Having multiple people who do the same thing is actually helpful for the group, and actually a necessity in larger group (because it's impossible to not have some overlap). Rather than being upset that someone is "stealing your spotlight," try working with them to make the spotlight on the both of you brighter!

Finally, if the uniqueness of your character is based on your "build," then consider adding depth and personality to the character. I've played in many other RPGs with limited "class" options, where what made you unique was your history, personality, and actions.

Remove ads