• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Having PCs roll "Defenses" rather than the DM rolling "Attacks"

eriktheguy

First Post
This could work in a more experienced group. I stick with the standard rules for my group though. I can do the math etc in my head much faster and it keeps the game flowing.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
This could work in a more experienced group. I stick with the standard rules for my group though. I can do the math etc in my head much faster and it keeps the game flowing.

umm what math? The character sheet associated with the house rule has the number for defense computed the same as attack. And your monsters will have a target number associated with there attacks precomputed.

I suppose you mean adding the number they roll to there rating well shrug to each there own there are many definitions of experienced.

Last edited:

Nellisir

Hero

I'll echo the "what math"? There are less additives and factors than in attacking, actually.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
My 4 year old loves to roll the dice and claps and hoots like crazy when she gets a high number and involving her more "out of turn" is another way to cater to ummm limited attention spans... ;-)

DragoonLance

First Post
Well, I tried this in our last game session. Our former GURPS players all loved it, although one of my two hardcore DnD guys flat out told me he didn't like it at all. So I rolled as normal for him, let the other guys roll their defenses, and everyone seemed happy. :)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Well, I tried this in our last game session. Our former GURPS players all loved it, although one of my two hardcore DnD guys flat out told me he didn't like it at all. So I rolled as normal for him, let the other guys roll their defenses, and everyone seemed happy. :)

I'm picturing the hardcore guys frowning intensely and "AT ALL" should be capitalized and somebody saying "dude its mechanically identical, chill."

Wik

First Post
One question. Why would we assume the monster to "take 12" on their attack, instead of "Take 11" or "take 10"? I'm a bit confused on that point, since the average of a d20 roll is 10.5, not 11.5.

What's the math for this?

Pale Jackal

First Post
Tried it out a little last night, and it seemed to work okay with reasonably prompt player responses. I do think my players enjoyed the concept (which they may have proposed) that, if they roll a 20, they get to do something cool. We will see if said rule increases the maximum fun-ocity of the game.

Nellisir

Hero
Tried it out a little last night, and it seemed to work okay with reasonably prompt player responses. I do think my players enjoyed the concept (which they may have proposed) that, if they roll a 20, they get to do something cool. We will see if said rule increases the maximum fun-ocity of the game.
Sounds good to me. They "critted" their defenses. On a roll of 1, of course, the monster crits. :)

Remove ads