• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hawk the Slayer sequel

Felon

First Post
All I really recall about seeing this movie as a kid was the so-called "giant" eating a fishing in one gulp, the ugly elf shooting his arrows in rapid fire (thanks a none-too-subtle bit of film looping), and a sword that a hand coming out of the hilt and holding a magic rock or something (maybe that was another movie altogether).

Julian Richards, company director at Jinga said "It's a thrill to become involved with the Hawk franchise. Hawk The Slayer made an impact on my generation and I am confident that with Terry's vision for the sequel, Hawk the Hunter will make an impact on today's audience".
I guess a large part of being in the show biz industry stems from being able to stay stuff like that with a straight face. "Franchise"? "Impact on my generation"? Did I miss out on the "Hawk the Slayer" lunchboxes and T-shirts and Happy Meal toys?

From the link I guess I'm a little surprised they could even actually raise the kind of funding they're saying they have. These guys couldn't really even hope to make a B-movie, we're talking straight-to-video I'm thinking. And that quote is PRICELESS. Hawk the Slayer was a so-bad-it's-good Z-movie THIRTY years ago. "Franchise"? "Generational impact"? A supposed $10,000,000 budget and only $2,000,000 for digital effects? I don't think you can afford a decent 30 second commercial with effects for that kind of money.

Oh I suppose they might make money. I don't really know that much about what kind of sales they might expect or distribution deal they might have but IF it actually gets made the only place you'll find it is in the bargain bins.

Rackhir

Explorer
From the link I guess I'm a little surprised they could even actually raise the kind of funding they're saying they have. These guys couldn't really even hope to make a B-movie, we're talking straight-to-video I'm thinking. And that quote is PRICELESS. Hawk the Slayer was a so-bad-it's-good Z-movie THIRTY years ago. "Franchise"? "Generational impact"? A supposed $10,000,000 budget and only $2,000,000 for digital effects? I don't think you can afford a decent 30 second commercial with effects for that kind of money.

Oh I suppose they might make money. I don't really know that much about what kind of sales they might expect or distribution deal they might have but IF it actually gets made the only place you'll find it is in the bargain bins.

I remember it quite well and it was very popular among my crowd in HS.

Also the budget for your typical SF channel movie is AFAIK about $1-2 million. So it's a substantially increased budget vs one of them.

But as Roger Ebert once said "It is a curious attribute of camp that it can only be found, not made."

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
What made Hawk the Slayer so 'good' was its totally straight faced cheesy camp. And a halfway decent story. Effects were garde Z. If these guys are being serious they have a chance of pulling it off, because that's the only way you can do real camp. If they're just trying to cash in on its camp following, it'll bomb.

"I am Crow!....three men, eating crisps, playing a Nintendo, riding a horse, with five legs, 50 miles, that way!"
Standard Ranger joke/quote based on Hawk the Slayer! ;)

Damn yes it was AWESOME cheesy fun! Perfectly good D&D fair.
If you cna't quote from it or "The Sword and the Sorceror", you're geek cred sucks!

"That's a small threat...that's a VERY small threat!"
"Don't worry honey! It won't hurt...'til it hits the bone!"

:evil:
ENjoy them for what they were: fun!!!

Mercutio01

First Post
You know, I've never seen Hawk the Slayer, but after dozens of mentions in KoDT, I have it in my Netflix cue - and coincidentally as all hell, I'm getting it tomorrow.

Remove ads