• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

HDTV help.

tburdett

Explorer
I just recently made the decision to buy a 34" Widescreen HDTV to watch my collection of DVD's and it is a huge improvement over the 20" TV that I'd been using since I moved. The only downside to the new TV is that it weighs over 200 lbs. I worried for a bit that the side by side oak dresser in my bedroom wouldn't be sturdy enough to put the TV on, but after climbing on the dresser myself, and taking my own weight into consideration, I put that fear to rest. :)

What I need help figuring out is the following - Which flavor would you suggest for broadcast HDTV? Cable, Satellite, or Antenna? Pros? Cons? If it matters, I have the Sony KV34HS510.

Chain Lightning

First Post
tburdett said:
I just recently made the decision to buy a 34" Widescreen HDTV to watch my collection of DVD's and it is a huge improvement over the 20" TV that I'd been using since I moved. The only downside to the new TV is that it weighs over 200 lbs. I worried for a bit that the side by side oak dresser in my bedroom wouldn't be sturdy enough to put the TV on, but after climbing on the dresser myself, and taking my own weight into consideration, I put that fear to rest. :)

What I need help figuring out is the following - Which flavor would you suggest for broadcast HDTV? Cable, Satellite, or Antenna? Pros? Cons? If it matters, I have the Sony KV34HS510.

I personally use a Cable connection. I haven't seen the difference between the other types of broadcasts. But I mostly watch DVDs anyways. And I'm not much of a sports event watcher....which seems to be the only thing I've noticed that is broadcast in HD.

Y'know....I can't really offer much opinion on this....why the heck did I post? I dunno...

:)

Ranger REG

Explorer
tburdett said:
I want to know, too. I'm a cheap bastard, and if HDTV antenna is better than my current analog antenna (to get free over-the-air channels), I would drop my 900 large for a HDTV monitor.

stevelabny

Explorer
it depends on where you live.
Here in NYC, I believe 4 of the 6 channels are broadcasting in HD
and not just the big sporting events, but also about 1/3 to 1/2 of primetime tv is also HD OR widescreen.
DirecTv only has a handful of HD channels, and the local cable companies have a few more.
but seeing as how everything except Directtv and the other satellite companies is LOCAL, you'll have to do some research.

We just bought an HDTV in order to be ready when HD becomes widely available. Right now, the expense to get an HD antenna & tuner or HD cable is too much for the few things that are available in this area, so we are waiting until either more programs are available or the price drops on the antenna & tuner.

Be aware that very few HDTVs come with an HDTV tuner built in. Most are sold as "HDTV ready" or "HDTV monitors". this does not mean they will immediately start showing HD programming. They all have a standard tuner, but an HD tuner is necessary, as well as an HD antenna or HD cable. The cost of these can get quite expensive (several hundred dollars each) for very little HD programming (or none in some areas).

Also, I don't believe an HDTV antenna will pick up regular broadcasts (or so the salesperson in Best Buy told us 2 weeks ago).

And finally, be aware that not all widescreen program broadcasts are HD. Some are just regular broadcasts that are widescreen. Others that are available to stations in HD (like ER) are not broadcast in HD everywhere. If you look closely, they often say "Broadcast in High Definition where available", that does not mean that just because it says HD that your local station is going to broadcast it in HD.

Datt

First Post
I have two questions for you first.

Do you have any pay TV service right now? How much TV do you watch?

If you don't have a pay TV service but are considering getting one, I would compare which ones are available to you and what channels they will carry. Where you live can limit what your options are. Like if you live in an apartment and don't have a clear shot of the southern sky, in most places, then you won't be able to get satellite. Your cable provider might not be offering a HD reciever in your area.

Your TV is only HD Ready and not HD Integrated. That means if you don't want to have a pay TV service you will have to buy a set top box to get the HD channels. I wouldn't worry about a special antenna as I am using a $5 antenna from Walmart and I pick up all the local HD broadcasts perfectly clear.

Now if you are considering a pay TV service I would suggest going with Dish. They just came out with a new HD reciever, the 811. I only suggest this because the 811 has a built in off-air tuner so that you can not only get the satellite HD channels but you can watch the locals too in HD.

Now if you do watch a bit of TV I can't say enough of HDTV. It is one of the most beautiful pictures I have ever seen. I love watching football and the playoff games that have been on CBS or ABC have been in HD Widescreen. Not only does it give you that extra bit on the sides, but you can almost count the blades of grass on the field. Oh, it's not only great for sports. Lana Lane has never looked better that I have seen.

I know I have rambled on here a bit sorry about that. If you have any other questions let me know and I will try to answer them.

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
That $5 antenna? Is that a standard indoor antenna? What brand/model? And can I buy that from KMart and not from the evil that is Wal-Mart?

I notice that some of my local stations each broadcast regular channel and what they call it a "DT" channel. (Basically a different channel that offers HDTV broadcast?)

Datt

First Post
The antenna I use is a Jensen model TV630. It is a standard non-powered indoor antenna. I don't know if it is available at K-Mart, but I don't know why it wouldn't be. You might also check Best Buy or Circuit City.

The DT, Digital Television aka HDTV, is broadcast on a different frequency than standard TV. Some channels will actually have two digital channels, ex. My local ABC channel has a continious weather radar on thier second channel.

Now you have to make sure that you have a HDTV reciever to get the HD local channels, unless you have a built in HDTV, which is what mine is. Some channels will also not be broadcast on thier regular channels. My Fox channel is normally on 4, but for DT it is on 35.

Gizzard

First Post
This article has a quick summary of the state of the cable/satellite industry and some speculations on the future; it also contains some info about a DVD player which has a built-in HDTV doubler/scaler/widget (since you primarily watch DVD movies.)

http://slate.msn.com/id/2093615

Over the air broadcasts will vary depending on where you are; for instance, here in hilly San Fransisco OTA isn't an option for many people. That leaves cable and satellite. I've heard different things about both what cable and satellite offer HDTV-wise; particularly regarding local network programming (NBC, ABC, etc). Cable and satellite generally offer a set of non-local programming in HDTV format, but I am not clear on the status of local HDTV progamming. (Anyone know? I believe this is a regulatory issue, at least for satellite, so it should be the same in all areas.)

Tell us how the 510 works out. I've been debating moving to HDTV myself, but I am hoping the new crop of TVs will be even cooler/more affordable this year. The 510 is supposedly very nice however, I doubt you'll be sorry about it.

tburdett

Explorer
Gizzard said:
This article has a quick summary of the state of the cable/satellite industry and some speculations on the future; it also contains some info about a DVD player which has a built-in HDTV doubler/scaler/widget (since you primarily watch DVD movies.)

http://slate.msn.com/id/2093615

Over the air broadcasts will vary depending on where you are; for instance, here in hilly San Fransisco OTA isn't an option for many people. That leaves cable and satellite. I've heard different things about both what cable and satellite offer HDTV-wise; particularly regarding local network programming (NBC, ABC, etc). Cable and satellite generally offer a set of non-local programming in HDTV format, but I am not clear on the status of local HDTV progamming. (Anyone know? I believe this is a regulatory issue, at least for satellite, so it should be the same in all areas.)

Tell us how the 510 works out. I've been debating moving to HDTV myself, but I am hoping the new crop of TVs will be even cooler/more affordable this year. The 510 is supposedly very nice however, I doubt you'll be sorry about it.

After reading everything here I decided to give Comcast a try. We already have their TV service and it is only $5.10 a month more to upgrade to an HDTV box in this area.

We also have a municipal cable system that is in the process of upgrading their service to HDTV (ie, they are waiting for a shipment of set-top boxes from Motorola). I use the municipal system for my cable internet and will switch to them for HDTV service if Comcast jacks the price up as rumored. Competition is a wonderful thing.

I am really happy with the 510 so far. Watching DVD's in Widescreen format is the main reason that I bought this TV, and it does a great job at that. Great audio and picture quality, and enough inputs to handle just about everything. I also like the fact that I can slide the memory stick from my Sony camera right into the TV to display the pictures.

The HDTV install will take place on January 25th, just in time to watch the Super Bowl! :)

Remove ads