• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

He Whose Name Must Not Be Spoken

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
So, sketching something out here ...

Tyrant's Ears
Divination
Level: Wiz/Sorc 6
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 10 mile radius/level
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

Once cast, the caster will become aware of anyone who says his name within range of the spell.

The caster does not hear precisely what was said, but becomes vaguely aware of the speaker and his general location, equal to at least "viewed once" for the purposes of the teleport spell and "secondhand knowledge" for the purposes of scrying. (If the caster knows the location or speaker through other means, their knowledge for each spell may be higher.)

If the caster has a very common name, this spell will quickly become a nuisance to him.

Material component: A pair of bat's ears, which are set ablaze at the end of the casting of the spell.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Flexor the Mighty! said:
After the first few dead Bards I think the public would get the idea.
At that point, it probably becomes an issue of how annoying the public thinks the remaining bards are, and how likely they are to take requests.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I guess it would be more on how you go about it - there are a number of questions to be answered. How long does it last? Range? Effect? How do the gods do it? Does context matter?

There is binding a demon or spirit to listen for it and then act.
You could also have an item that will do it.
Wish your name as a curse would also be effective.

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
So, sketching something out here ...

Tyrant's Ears
Divination
Level: Wiz/Sorc 6
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 10 mile radius/level
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

Once cast, the caster will become aware of anyone who says his name within range of the spell.

The caster does not hear precisely what was said, but becomes vaguely aware of the speaker and his general location, equal to at least "viewed once" for the purposes of the teleport spell and "secondhand knowledge" for the purposes of scrying. (If the caster knows the location or speaker through other means, their knowledge for each spell may be higher.)

If the caster has a very common name, this spell will quickly become a nuisance to him.

Material component: A pair of bat's ears, which are set ablaze at the end of the casting of the spell.
Personally I don't think that the range is right. I think this is too limited. I would go with 100 miles/level, just like teleport. I would almost say that 1 day/level for duration might not be too absurd either. Somehthing that a high ranking wizard might cast once or twice a month.

I think too that the spell would be constantly trying to find those that speak the name. The name itself, once spoken, should not be part of the caster at that point, so their is no SR or save for the actual hearing of the name, but I would allow a save and SR to actually viewing of the speaker. If the SR dismisses it or the speaker makes his save, they would not get to see the speaker, but I think it would be fair to know the direction of the speaker and a rough idea of the distance.

Just my thoughts.

F5

Explorer
I may be interpereting the spell description MUCH too liberally, but I've been allowing PCs to do something like this with the Scry spell as written for years.

I consider "the last person who spoke my name" to be as valid a "connection" to the target of a scrying spell as a picture. The target gets a +8 bonus to their will save, but it's possible. It's also easy to mess up, because the spell doesn't ptovide any way to know when the name has been spoken...I've had powerful wizards wind up scrying on their own mothers by accident, who were gossiping with the neigbors about their kids, when trying to scry up details on their rivals' plans for them.

It doesn't allow the caster to know when their name is spoken, but it does create a connection between the speaker and the caster, and THAT'S why you never speak the name of a powerful evil wizard...it makes you an easier target for their scrying, if they care. Once they've met you, or become aware of you for some other reason, there's no reason to avoid saying the name, which is why the heroes are often much more cavalier about speaking of "he-who-must-not-be-named".

DM-Rocco

Explorer
F5 said:
I may be interpereting the spell description MUCH too liberally, but I've been allowing PCs to do something like this with the Scry spell as written for years.

I consider "the last person who spoke my name" to be as valid a "connection" to the target of a scrying spell as a picture. The target gets a +8 bonus to their will save, but it's possible. It's also easy to mess up, because the spell doesn't ptovide any way to know when the name has been spoken...I've had powerful wizards wind up scrying on their own mothers by accident, who were gossiping with the neigbors about their kids, when trying to scry up details on their rivals' plans for them.

It doesn't allow the caster to know when their name is spoken, but it does create a connection between the speaker and the caster, and THAT'S why you never speak the name of a powerful evil wizard...it makes you an easier target for their scrying, if they care. Once they've met you, or become aware of you for some other reason, there's no reason to avoid saying the name, which is why the heroes are often much more cavalier about speaking of "he-who-must-not-be-named".
I haven't read the scry spell in a while, but wouldn't you have to have something like a lock of hair or something you can touch and offer as a material component, rather than just the last person to speak your name. That seems to be stretching it for me. Although I could maybe see a greater scrying spell doing that. Maybe.

Also, calling him, "He who must not be named," seems like that wouldn't work either. Because the spellcaster is now also known by that name too. So wouldn't that also summon his attention?

Anime Kidd

Explorer
The Eldritch Master prestige class has a class ability. While you couldn't teleport to the location, you could scry those who spoke the name. It was in Dragon 280 I believe.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
DM-Rocco said:
Also, calling him, "He who must not be named," seems like that wouldn't work either. Because the spellcaster is now also known by that name too. So wouldn't that also summon his attention?
I think it'd probably depend on how important names are in your campaign setting. IMC, I think I'd be fine with it just being their real name. So in Harry Potter, you'd have to refer to Tom Riddle, not Voldemort, although in a way, that'd be especially helpful for You Know Who: Those are the people he really wants to kill.

Pyrex

First Post
I'm liking the concept of making it a Reserve feat, min 6th level Divination spell.

Anytime someone says your name, the reserve feat activates and the person who said your name makes a will save against the reserve feat (DC based on the highest level Div spell prepped).

If they fail, you can listen is as per Clairaudience with a duration of Concentration (max 5 rounds).

I'd even go so far as to make it part of a chain, with the second feat adding Clairvoyance and additional feats (say one requiring a 7th level [Teleportation] effect that allows you to Teleport Without Error to their location).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads