Head of the class (stonegod judging)[Concluded]

Patlin

Explorer
Anvuss, with his very limited experience with personal interaction, doesn't even realize that he hardly knows his companions.

IcyCool

First Post
Patlin said:
"In your research, what level of magical analysis did you use? Specifically, can you eliminate beyond doubt the possibility that the manuscript itself was enchanted in some way? The complexity you describe is somewhat consistent with certain cursed texts, some of which can influence the behavior of those that read them... could your research assistant have succumbed to such an enchantment, and be acting outside of his right mind?"

"A good question, but I'm fairly certain it isn't a magical text. We ran it through a battery of detection spells, and a thorough dispelling, just to be sure. We were quite thorough after what happened to one of the professors on a previous project. Poor old Trellin is still trying to grow his beard back after that unfortunate encounter with a Xen'Drik tablet." He chuckles lightly, "No, we took every precaution on this. If it wasn't non-magical before, it is now. It is interesting that you mention curses though, I'll have to investigate that when I get the codex back."

IcyCool

First Post
Manzanita said:
"That sounds like a fair price. If it proves more difficult, or if we need valuable equipment, we will ask for more. And give an explanation, of course. But your reward is sufficient. You can trust us to be discreet and efficient."

Raven attempts to give no sign that she actually hardly knows her companions. (Bluff +6)

"We should start at your office. We should also interview the two friends of your assistant whom you are aware of."

OOC: Just to be clear, if you split it evenly that would be 300gp each. There will be other compensation of course, but that is what the professor has offered to pay you.

Reeger nods, "The two students are Kiri d'Orien and Miles Winterbourne. I can give you their contact information. We can meet at my office in say, an hour? That is, if you have no further questions?" He looks at the group expectantly.

Patlin

Explorer
Anvuss considers. Will the project prove profitable enough to continue with his studies? 300 gold isn't much, but his current financial situation was so meager it would certainly exceed his expenses... and he was running low on ink!

"I will be happy to meet you in your office along with the others. If you provide the expense money at this time, I will purchase some supplies on the way to the meeting."

"Also, other questions occur to me. Could your assistant have gathered enough information from the book that he might be attempting to acquire the item it describes? Do you believe he has the physical courage to attempt such a thing? Coud there be another academic interested in studying the text, that might offer to purchase it so as to preempt your research? Is it at all likely that the book and its current posessor might return to the area from which the book was originally found, and if so can you provide directions and transportation to that area?"

Someone

Adventurer
"That was one of the conjectures I was thinking on" says Seat. "But I abstained on commenting it before having more information. Right now, unless you know more details about the Codex that could be, even remotely, of any use, I would want to know any ood or strange behaviour you could have observed on your helper lately. Anything."

"Else we´re ready to meet at the university."

El Jefe

First Post
Listening to the others talk about what the teacher's helper might have done, Shoot had an idea. His face bright with enthusiasm, he interrupted the others: "Hey! I know! Fang can find your helper! Fang's smart. He can sniff out where people go!" Shoot beamed, quite pleased with himself. "Do you have some of your helper's stuff, something Fang can sniff so he knows what your helper smells like?", the warforged asked.

Manzanita

First Post
"Have no concern, sir," says Raven," that we will try to publish anything on this manuscript. We are adventurers, not academics. Knowing what sort of device this codex described and where it says the device is located could be crucial information."

Someone

Adventurer
Manzanita said:
"We are adventurers, not academics."

"Speak for yourself" murmurs Seat.

ooc: This is a moment as good as any other to post prepared spells:

Orisons: Cure minor wounds, Detect magic, Read magic
1st level: Cure light wounds, Cause fear, Bless

Remove ads