• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

headband of excellence

laughingbuhda

First Post
There used to be a magic item that gave you +'s to both wis and dex. I thought it was called a Headband of Excellence. It doesn't appear in the SRD. Was it removed or do I have the wrong name?

Brain

First Post
Headband of Perfect Excellence, +6 to Str, Dex, Wis. (180k) It's found in Sword and Fist. (3.0) Hasn't been updated to 3.5 that I know of.

Scion

First Post
That seems rather very expensive for what it does. But then it was useing 3.0 pricing rules.

I prefer the belt version from minis handbook. That seems much more reasonable in pricing.

reveal

Adventurer
You can make a Headband of Perfect Excellence for 153k using 3.5 rules.

Items with similar abilities cost an extra 75% for the first most costliest ability and 50% for each ability thereafter.

36,000 (Str +6) + 63,000 (Dex +6) + 54,000 (Wis +6)

The item you're talking about (+X to Dex and Wis) would cost, for a +6 item for example, 99k. 36,000 (Dex +6) + 63,000 (Wis +6)

Scion

First Post
I dont know if they would qualify as 'similar'. After all, they are effecting different stats ;)

Still though, I think in 3.5 it would go like this:

+6 to stat #1 = 36k
+6 to stat #2 on same item = 36k*1.5 = 54k

total = 90k

Or, for 3 stats, 144k.

Or, if you go by the example of other items, the more stats you put on you get a growing discount. Likely because not all characters can use all stats. Then you would get +6 to all stats for 200k ;)

reveal

Adventurer
Scion said:
I dont know if they would qualify as 'similar'. After all, they are effecting different stats ;)

I think they're similar. Here's the definition of "different" abilities in the SRD.

SRD said:
Abilities such as an attack roll bonus or saving throw bonus and a spell-like function are not similar[.]

Why would someone put two "similar" effects in an object if both effects affected the same stat? You would only gain the benefit of the strongest one. :)

Scion

First Post
If they were considered similar then the cost would be the following:

36k (1st ability boost)
0.75*36k (2nd ability boost)
0.5*36k (3rd ability boost)
0.5*36k (4th ability boost)
0.5*36k (5th ability boost)
0.5*36k (6th ability boost)
= 135k gp

Or, for just two = 63k which is actually 'cheaper' than two seperate stat boosting items ;)

reveal

Adventurer
Scion said:
If they were considered similar then the cost would be the following:

36k (1st ability boost)
0.75*36k (2nd ability boost)
0.5*36k (3rd ability boost)
0.5*36k (4th ability boost)
0.5*36k (5th ability boost)
0.5*36k (6th ability boost)
= 135k gp

Or, for just two = 63k which is actually 'cheaper' than two seperate stat boosting items ;)

Crud! I read that as "adding an additional 75%" not simply taking 75% of the normal cost. Yeah, they're different and 144k definitely works. :)

IcyCool

First Post
I'm pretty sure that the "Multiple Similar abilities" bit only refers to staves.

So, I think, your pricing would go like so:

+6 Wis (mental improvement, proper slot) = 36,000gp
+6 Str (physical improvement, inappropriate slot (*1.5)) = 54,000gp
+6 Dex (physical improvement, inappropriate slot (*1.5)) = 54,000gp
Multiply highest item cost *2 (54,000gp * 2) = 108,000gp

108,000gp + 54,000gp + 36,000gp

Total item cost= 198,000gp

Last edited:

IcyCool said:
I'm pretty sure that the "Multiple Similar abilities" bit only refers to staves.

Generally, I've found that the way to determine whether or not two things are similar or separate is, "Can I benefit from both at the same time?"

If the answer is "Yes," then they're separate, and you get no savings.

If the answer is "No," then they're different, and you get savings.

Staves, for instance, have a set number of charges. The charges you spend on Spell #1 cannot be spent on Spell #2. Therefore, they're similar.

An item which grants multiple stat bonuses is not similar, because you can benefit from the bonus to Strength while simultaneously benefitting from the bonus to Intelligence.

Remove ads