• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Headband of Intellect (3.5)

SuperJebba

First Post
My group and I have always played that it does. Dandu brings up a good point, though. I guess technically I would rule that it must be worn for 24 hours before you gain the bonus spells. That begs the question would you actually wear it while you were sleeping and bathing and such.

I think that in dnd people make the changes to their character sheet and call it a day. But realistically, people would take off their equipment before sleeping and such. My players insist that they are always in their full plate even if they are just going to the tavern for breakfast.

Dandu

First Post
Hygiene would be an issue, but you can clean yourself with a cantrip.

The major issue is comfort, but if you're on an adventure in a high danger environment, wearing a headband 24/7 is a small price to pay for more firepower.

Alternatively, you just need to put it on before you prepare spells. You get bonus spell slots (a cleric or druid would have to wear their stat booster for 24 hours, but a wizard wouldn't; must have been thinking of the wrong class earlier) and can load them on the spot.

This is the interpretation I favor.

Greenfield

Adventurer
There are a couple of things that would need to be true for this to work.

1) You'd have to be talking about a Wizard
2) They'd have to wear the item from at least the moment they began to study their spells. Some might say you'd need to wear it during the rest period prior to re-memorizing the spells.
3) They'd have to keep it on all day. Take it off or walk into an Anti-Magic effect and the stat bonus vanishes, taking the extra spell slots with it. And while technically the slots might come back when the item was activated again, they'd be empty.

Question: Would the same apply to a Charisma item for Bards and Sorcerers? That is, would they get extra slots, usable at once, when they put one on?

Dandu

First Post
I think you get a bonus slot from the moment you put it on. Sorcerers can use it to cast a spell, Wizards can load a spell into it (following the rules for preparing a spell into an unused slot after the initial preparation period), but Clerics would have to wait until the divinely appointed time for spell preparation.

Remove ads