• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Healing during a short rest with leader healing

malacapricornis

First Post
Unless game time is a serious constraint a series of short rests do not add up to much more real time and gives the party the proper benefits for having a leader. Encounter powers are suppose to be able to be used after each short rest. Why throw more random monsters after a 15 min SR?

malacapricornis

First Post
Unless game time is a serious constraint a series of short rests do not add up to much more real time and gives the party the proper benefits for having a leader. Encounter powers are suppose to be able to be used after each short rest. Why throw more random monsters after a 15 min SR?

I would use the wandering monsters during ERs if the players were taking ERs too often.

Xorn

First Post
I allow them to use their encounter powers and recharge them with a short rest. Roll a d6 twice, that's how much time it added. I can handle that.

You only get 1 extended rest per day, kind of hard to overuse them. :)

ladycass

First Post
This came up on our last game and the general rule has been that of course you can use your powers and class abilities outside of combat (when applicable). On the healing word I ruled that as long as there is no time constraint there is not reason the short rest can not be 10-20 mins instead of 5 to accomidate additional careful effort in healing and conservation of resources. It encourages longer time between major resting and makes the players happy.

Now there could be consequences to this. If enemies are aware of them they may be better prepared or work to suprise the PCs. The PCs may still be waiting for the healer to assist them when another encounter starts and they have not yet used a healing surge.

keterys

First Post
My big objection is that it makes the downtime take more RL time. I allow it, my players actually tend to just take one short rest anyways, but I dislike the idea of, say, taking 4 short rests to maximize its benefits. Feels like it'll often be burning either realism or safety, as well as actual player game time, in exchange for a plentiful resource (healing surges).

Giryan

First Post
I just let it happen, if the cleric's around then any player wanting healing during a rest I tell to spend surges and add +dwhatever, and tell me how many, if the cleric's not then they don't get to add anything.
Minutes taken for a short rest = 5 + 5* (number of surges used) / 2
Job done.

if there's going to be an ambush, well I've made my job a little harder, because I need to stop the players in the middle of their healing, it's not increased the RL time taken for short rests at all, as I'll be dealing with other queries, working out where the players might go next, deciding if they all get a milestone, etc...

keterys

First Post
it's not increased the RL time taken for short rests at all

If it doesn't take more time to find out who needs healing and make the rolls for those people (which are random, so can fluctuate the number of rolls needed), that's _amazing_. I mean, it's only an extra minute or so per encounter... but hey, that's 3.5 hours a year :)

And the environment not caring if they take a 30 minute break every time is a hit to realism. Them being down resources when they start a fight is a hit to safety.

I don't find healers/warlords using their powers during short rests to be too much, but I do find Melora's Tide to be too much because it allows for too much healing surge conservation in my opinion. Obviously this only matters when you have people pretty badly injured but a reusable source of non-healing surge healing seems wrong when you look at the rest of the system.

Remove ads