• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Healing monsters without healing serges

HealingAura

First Post
Can you heal a monster without healing surges? (most of the monsters don't have any)

So far, when a character healed a monster without a healing surge, I added 1/4 of the monster's HP plus any bonus from the character.

Mirtek

Hero
Monsters have healing surges based on tier. Heroic tier monster have 1 surge, paragon tier monsters have 2 surges and epic tier monsters have 3 surges.

Unless specifically written in the monster's stats a monster has no ability to use it's healing surges and has to rely on someone else enabling it to use one.

Flipguarder

First Post
1. Does healing monsters happen regularly in your campaign?
2. Monsters have 1 healing surge for each tier.

level 5 has one healing surge.
level 15 has two healing surges.
level 25 has three healing surges.

Sorry I can't come up with the source but I'm fairly confident thats the rule.

HealingAura

First Post
When you give the party some allies to protect or a pet with monster stats, it happens. Also, do NPCs/Monsters heal all damage after extended rest?

keterys

First Post
Very early in the monster manual I believe it talks about healing surges, but Mirtek and Flipguarder have it right.

I believe, though I haven't checked, that extended rests don't limit their effects to just PCs. If it doesn't say it does... then poof, works on npcs/monsters if you want it to.

CapnZapp

Legend
Can you heal a monster without healing surges? (most of the monsters don't have any)

So far, when a character healed a monster without a healing surge, I added 1/4 of the monster's HP plus any bonus from the character.
No you can't heal a monster with no surges much you can't heal a PC with no surges.

However, all monsters start out with 1-3 surges as explained by the Monster Manual.

They aren't listed because so very few monster have any way of using them. Being healed by a PC would still work exactly as you've described, though.

The related subject is "what about a monster who is wounded and runs away?"

There aren't any official rule governing this, so by RAW I guess the answer is "A monster can't heal itself unless it has a healer ally. Period."

However, I have seen guidelines in Dungeon adventures that say stuff like "if X runs away and the party takes a short rest, X regains 1/4 hp" and "if the party takes an extended rest, all monsters are fully healed".

I certainly find that kind of advice very sensible (taking rests should cost the PCs), and I'll recommend you adopting them as houserules.

HarbingerX

Rob Of The North
There aren't any official rule governing this, so by RAW I guess the answer is "A monster can't heal itself unless it has a healer ally. Period."

However, I have seen guidelines in Dungeon adventures that say stuff like "if X runs away and the party takes a short rest, X regains 1/4 hp" and "if the party takes an extended rest, all monsters are fully healed".

I certainly find that kind of advice very sensible (taking rests should cost the PCs), and I'll recommend you adopting them as houserules.

While most monsters don't have a way of spending healing surges during an encounter, a short rest allows healing surges to be spent - I had just assumed this applies to monsters as well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads