• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Healing Surge Damage

Falstaff

First Post
Hello,

What happens when a Deathlock Wight damages you with a claw attack but you have no healing surges left to lose?

Anything?

Infiniti2000

First Post
Nothing per the rules though a common houserule would be based on the starvation, thirst, and suffocation rule: "A character without healing surges who fails a check takes damage equal to his level."

I would say, you take damage equal to half your bloodied value... as your healing surge may be higher because of feats or features, and you don´t want to penalize this...

On the other hand, maybe better stick with RAW, as usually someone without surges is already close to death anyways...

wlmartin

Explorer
Hello,

What happens when a Deathlock Wight damages you with a claw attack but you have no healing surges left to lose?

Anything?

Nothing unless it states.
There are creatures (Blood Elemental I think is one) where if you have no HS left, it does a specific amount of damage (usually equal to their HS value)... however there is no general rule that would say the character takes the damage normally... it would only be if it is included in the Stat Block of the monster.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Huh... I always thought the 'take damage equal to your healing surge value' was the actual rule. Anyway, that's the house rule I would use, though I've honestly never had it come up. I don't often use monsters that hit for surges.

wlmartin

Explorer
Huh... I always thought the 'take damage equal to your healing surge value' was the actual rule. Anyway, that's the house rule I would use, though I've honestly never had it come up. I don't often use monsters that hit for surges.

I am fairly sure there isnt a rule for this...

S'mon

Legend
I'd definitely count it as 1/4 max hp damage. Edit: I'd do the same for starvation etc since "damage = level" stupidly penalises higher level characters.

Remove ads