• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Healing Surges per encounter

HealingAura

First Post
Some powers require you to use a Healing Surge. Can you use more than one healing surge per an encounter? I know you can use Second Wind only once per encounter, but what about other powers?

Mengu

First Post
The "Heal" ability, for instance, is able to be used until the target runs out of Healing Surges.

If by ability you mean skill, this is incorrect. Heal skill can be used to administer first aid to trigger second wind, and second wind can only be used once per encounter.

Edit: To answer the original question there is no per encounter limit for spending healing surges as long as you have a way to trigger them (healing word, certain class powers, item powers, potions, etc.)

Dracorat

First Post
I meant skill and you're right. Bad example. (I actually did discover this recently after allowing it to be used wrong for a while and I tend to forget the right rule. Sorry about that.)

CapnZapp

Legend
This essentially means that once you've used your Second Wind, you're unhealable unless by magic, and that assumes your Defenders haven't run out of powers.

This is possibly the one rule creating the most strange and disconcerting situations in all of 4E.

"What do you mean I can't heal him?"
"What do you mean my healing potion has no effect?"
"What do you mean we must rest now even though everyone's completely unharmed just because if we continue, you can't heal any more?"

HarbingerX

Rob Of The North
This essentially means that once you've used your Second Wind, you're unhealable unless by magic, and that assumes your Defenders haven't run out of powers.

This is possibly the one rule creating the most strange and disconcerting situations in all of 4E.

"What do you mean we must rest now even though everyone's completely unharmed just because if we continue, you can't heal any more?"

I don't get why your PCs run into this situation. The maximum number of healing surges per day is part of your overall health. Even though you are at max HP, you've had some grueling fights, are fatigued and most definitely wouldn't consider yourself unharmed. The PCs must weigh their remaining reserves and decide when it has become too dangerous to continue for the day. If a PC drops during combat, you can still stabilize them with Heal, finish off the enemies, then they can use their own healing surges to recover.

The whole 'Second Wind' and healing surges mechanism has been working brilliantly at our table - no more carrying around boatloads of healing potions, stopping as soon as the Cleric is out of healing, or settling down for weeks of bed rest to recover HP.

Danger Mouse

Explorer

You're looking at it wrong. Being out of healing surges but at full hit-points doesn't mean that your character is completely unharmed; it means that he's so tired and beat-up that not even magic will help, and another tough fight will likely kill him.

DracoSuave

First Post
It seems there's been a miscommunication.

You only get one Second Wind, but if you have powers that allow you to spend healing surges or other players to do so, then those are more than permissible, so long as you haven't run out of healing surges for this day.

Remove ads