• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heart Break and Heroines just passed 3k on kickstarter

BillyRubin

First Post
Heartbreak and Heroines is a non d20 feminist fantasy game. It just passed its 3k goal on Kickstarter, so it looks like it is getting made. Its pretty cool to see kickstarter in action, as most traditional publishing models wouldn't have allowed this RPG to happen.

It will be interesting to see more roleplaying games aimed at making the hobby more inclusive, Blue Rose is the last one I can rightly recall (this game sounds a lot like blue rose so far.

ThatGuyThere

Explorer
Heartbreak and Heroines is a non d20 feminist fantasy game.

I ask this question in sincerity.

If the stated intention is "inclusive" gaming, and in fact "feminist", the first line of this paragraph -

Kickstarter Page said:
You play a fantasy heroine (or hero, if you prefer) whose heart has been broken. She's experienced some loss so great that she's taken up her sword, her tome, her staff, or her wand and walked away from her place in society -- by becoming one of its defenders, fighting back the darkness that endangers everyone.

- ...seems like a strange choice.

If anyone knows the people involved in the project - or at least, involved in that little blurb - I'd be interesting in knowing what their motivation and reasoning was for ensuring "heartbroken" and "a great loss" was a requirement for character creation in a feminist RPG.

I'm not saying it's wrong - and heck, in an RPG that was "just" an RPG, "every character is heartbroken" is even kind of a neat hook. But it seems like a ... potentially rather stereotyped element to add to a explicitly feminist RPG.

Crothian

First Post
Is there any information on a system? I'll be curious if the mechanics support the "feminist fantasy" genre or if its just the fluff.

Remove ads