Heart of Artifice: Part I--Engineered Enigma

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Well...that's true, unless whoever that someone is just discovered it recently somehow and is trying to keep it a secret. Either way, it isn't in the literature."

"Do you think someone found it and just brought it back from Xen'drik, dear?"

"Hmm...it's possible. Or someone just discovered it. This does point towards another researcher in the field or someone at House Cannith, though."

"Right, and they don't dare claim the discovery because that would point evidence directly at them."

"I don't think so--it's possible, honey, but I think they want to keep it secret regardless, or they would have claimed it before they realised it would be a liability when Helen smashed one of their things...speaking of which, they must not be making such sophisticated constructs if Helen could best one."

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Very well, let's see..."

"Her three best friends--Susie Popplewell is the daughter of Professor Sophie Popplewell, who is on sabbatical."

"Lovely woman, Sophie. Good researcher too."

"Ed Keynes, the son of tailor Mark Keynes."

"A bit of an oddball, that one."

"Pete Moseley is the son of Noah d'Cannith--they don't know if Pete will have the Dragonmark yet, so he goes by his family name."

"If you can trust anyone of rank in House Cannith, present company excluded of course, it's probably Noah. He and I were friends from even before he got his Dragonmark. Still, even Noah would not betray orders from his superiors on any of our behalfs--I imagine you wouldn't either, Aethelus, which is why you're best making sure you don't get any orders you wouldn't want to obey. Playing the game well enough will land you status instead of letting someone above you in House Cannith claim it all. I've seen how it worked for Noah."

Patlin

Explorer
"With the familly connection being a possible advantage, let us visit the scion of house Canith next. Who knows, we might find a newly formed dragonmark to be part of the puzzle after all."

Velmont

First Post
"It seems fine with me." agree Kharas as Anvuss suggest to visit the Cannith house. "And for that alloy, if you want to publicate anything, I don't mind. Putting our name wouldn't hurt us either, but don't speak about it before we have found Lucy, we wouldn't want to attract more attention than needed for now."

Velmont

First Post
Kharas looks at Anvuss and Aethelus. "Do we go, or you have some question still unanswered?" asks Kharas, and he adds with a smile. "If it is the sandwiches, just take one with you and eat it on the way."

Remove ads