• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heart of Artifice: Part I--Engineered Enigma

Velmont

First Post
"Honestly, I don't know. It is kind of innate. I've discovered how to use it after I have eaten some food which teh taste have been imporved with Thelanium. I think you need to interect directly with it before you understand how to use it. Maybe if I finish to repair you with some, you would understand what I tells."

Rystil Arden

First Post
*Fiora shakes her head as she listens to the odd couple and their banter. Eventually, they reach the captain's cabin, near the bow of the ship. Fiora knocks.*

"Cap'n, I've brought the Clank we rescued, and we be having a stowaway with us as well."

"Is that so?" a woman's voice calls out from within, "Fiora, I'm a bit busy right now. Can you give them the orientation?"

"Cap'n, the stowaway thinks'e's all high and mighty and don't have to listen none at all to the code what for he's a Spark. He's not from around here, so he don't know anything about who we be. Methinks he might find a meeting with you...instructive, if'n it be yer pleasure, Cap'n?"

"Well, that sounds particularly ungrateful to me. Usually after we risk our necks to save someone, they're a bit more conciliatory, but, well...Sparks will be Sparks. You can show them in, it's unlocked."

*Fiora opens the door and reveals the room within, which actually spans multiple levels--the amount that was visible abovedecks as well as a belowdecks space as well down a short stairway, all of it open into the same inner space without any walls or such. On the lower level sits a woman dressed in simple but fashionable work dress with a belt/girdle/baldric holding various tools as well as an elaborate sheathed rapier. The Captain, presumably, she has capricious golden curls and sharp emerald-green eyes that are a bit unsettling, as they don't seem to miss a single detail. Right now, they are focused on one of the diminutive Clanks that had been milling about, which seems to have become broken. There is a faint rainbow glow about her hand as she works with superhuman speed to fix all the inner parts of the Clank. Though the Captain draws attention to herself, once they look beyond the Captain, Kharas and Anvuss notice that the entire Captain's Quarters is a combination living space and laboratory, filled with all sorts of strange and unusual devices, liquid-filled tubes, eldritch filaments, and other assorted equipment.*

Patlin

Explorer
Edit: Written before I saw RA had posted. Can it have it be before entering the Captains presense?

"It seems likely that Thelanium will not function as well once we return to our own world. A laboratory would therefore still be usefull... I have been intending to craft an item to amplify my crafting skill, and I would like such a basic tool to remain functional permanently. I am therefore very interested in obtaining a patron with apropriate resources."

Last edited:

Patlin

Explorer
"Greetings! I am Anvuss. Thank you for your assistance, the people who assaulted me were thoroughly unmannered, and I am pleased to avoid their further company. I understand it is traditional to give recompense for such assistance, and if you have a sufficiently stocked laboratory perhaps I could craft you a minor wonder of some sort as a means of thanks. Alternatively, if your ship is in need of repair in some way, I might be able to contribute to such tasks."

Rystil Arden

First Post
*The Captain raises a slim blonde eyebrow and laughs, a good-natured laugh, though perhaps a very slight edge towards manic.*

"You may want to...rethink that and start again?" she offers in good-humour, "Fiora, I assume that they were giving you similar noise before, and that is why you had them come down here?"

"It be so, Cap'n."

"I see. Considering our venue, we must not dismiss the possibility that they have already been affected by Dolurrhite or some such that causes mental disharmony."

"If'n ye say so, Cap'n. Ye know itain't me specialty."

"Yes, yes. It may just be disorientation, though," she turns to Anvuss and speaks slowly, as one might to someone who doesn't speak the language, "Are you feeling okay? Let's start simple. You see that we are in a laboratory, no?"

Patlin

Explorer
Anvuss looks around at the facilities.

"Well, yes, obviously the facilities here are very nice. However, I had meant a laboratory you would let me use. This place has several indicia of being a personal space, and I did not wish to presume you would share."

He blinks a few times and then obviously decides to add more.

"Well, that and the fact that I was so strenuosly hoping to gain access to a lab that I failed to look about before speaking. It is my belief that in designing me for laboratory work my makers intentionally crafted my perceptual filters narrowly so as to increase my concentration. Which is to say, I can be somewhat single minded when something catches my interest. This is not a new problem, however, and I believe my intellectual faculties to be fully functional, allthough I am in need of additional repair physically."

Velmont

First Post
"What?" tells Kharas in surpirse at Anvuss proposal. He tells to Anvuss, completly ignoring the Captain and Fiora. "Have you forgot there is four kids lost in this world and we are trying to bring them back home. And it's not like they could eaily find there way back. We are on another plane of existance if you hadn't notice."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads