• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heat conditions in River of Darkness

Sgt_Shock

First Post
I am currently running the Pathfinder adventure River of Darkness with 4 4th level PC's. They're currently in the preparatory part of the adventure but I am concerned with a certain portion of the upcoming environmental conditions. The PC's will be on a river boat traveling up the Vanji river and are exposed to hot conditions. These are the details the adventure provided:

"Daytime temperatures
average between 90 and 95 degrees with
high humidity, and night brings an only
slightly more comfortable average of 80 to 85
degrees. The very hot conditions during the
daytime are described under Heat Dangers
on page 303 of the DMG. Characters must
make Fortitude saves each hour (DC 15 +1
for each previous check) between 10 am and
8 pm (10 hours total) or take 1d4 points of​
nonlethal damage. Players who take nonlethal
damage this way are fatigued."

Survival check of 15 increases your save by 4. High checks allow conferring of +4 bonus to others, etc.

Seeing as the trip during these conditions is 6 1/2 days, the conditions provided come off as pretty terrifying. I could easily imagine half the party failing the initial DC 15 fort save and then the rest succumbing to the 9 that follow (each at a cumulative +1 each, 16, 17, etc.).

Am I overestimating the effects of the weather here? It seems pretty demoralizing, and even deadly, considering the players could encounter creatures along the way...

Nebten

First Post
If they are preparing, have the party make a Knowledge Nature or Geography check. Hopefully somebody will make it, you can tell them this information.

If they are current in the preparing stage, a wise party will either memorize or pick up wand, scroll, or potions of Endure Elements. If they don't want to front the cash, then it'll be on them to face the dangers of the jungle.

Also, if the rolls don't go their way, the party may have to pull off and not continue on for that day. So the heat may slow them down to be annoying but shouldn't be a fatal factor.

Let the party figure things out, they will have more fun that way!

Sgt_Shock

First Post
Ahhh, yes they do have a druid among them. Perhaps they'll realize he can become an Air Conditioning unit if he prepares enough Endure elements each morning xD

I forgot it lasts 24 hours. Thanks :)

Also, anyone have any experience running this adventure?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads