• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Heat Metal Rules Interp / Minor Nerf

Kusodareka

First Post
This came up in our last game session.
My game is set in the jungles of Q'Barra, so the PCs can expect to bump into Lizardman Shamans with Heat Metal somewhat frequently.

The last battle, Heat Metal was cast on a PC and I realized just how powerful it is.

I generally want to play the RAW, but also don't want to unfairly pick on the Cleric, the only PC in Med/Hvy armor.

When I first read the rules quickly, I thought that Disadvantage on attack and skill rolls only applied if the affected item was a weapon or something "droppable". Not armor.
This made sense to me. Disadvantage makes the spell more powerful, but it is is counterbalanced by the affected PC/NPC always being able to drop the item if they so chose.

If Disadvantage applies all the time, Med/Hvy armor would almost always be the most advantageous target.

I wouldn't worry about this normally, but since the PC Cleric is likely to be the most frequent target, I want to avoid him feeling like he's getting unfairly punished.

I'm not sure if this is a (admittedly strained) rules interpretation, or a house rule.

In any case, what are your thoughts in terms of spell balance?

-Kusodareka

discosoc

First Post
If he's smart, he'll know that traipsing through a jungle in plate or chain is not a good idea anyway, and prepare accordingly. If he's not smart, feel free to punish him for it.

*edit* for clarification: what I mean is there's nothing in the rules that says a player should find a single set of gear and stick to it, come hell or high water. Maybe try having an NPC mention that his choice of armor isn't the wisest for this region, but otherwise let him/her figure it out.

zingbobco000

Explorer
This came up in our last game session.
My game is set in the jungles of Q'Barra, so the PCs can expect to bump into Lizardman Shamans with Heat Metal somewhat frequently.

The last battle, Heat Metal was cast on a PC and I realized just how powerful it is.

I generally want to play the RAW, but also don't want to unfairly pick on the Cleric, the only PC in Med/Hvy armor.

When I first read the rules quickly, I thought that Disadvantage on attack and skill rolls only applied if the affected item was a weapon or something "droppable". Not armor.
This made sense to me. Disadvantage makes the spell more powerful, but it is is counterbalanced by the affected PC/NPC always being able to drop the item if they so chose.

If Disadvantage applies all the time, Med/Hvy armor would almost always be the most advantageous target.

I wouldn't worry about this normally, but since the PC Cleric is likely to be the most frequent target, I want to avoid him feeling like he's getting unfairly punished.

I'm not sure if this is a (admittedly strained) rules interpretation, or a house rule.

In any case, what are your thoughts in terms of spell balance?

-Kusodareka

I agree, it is very powerful but first you have to think on both sides of the equation, if enemies can take this as can players so they can infer disadvantage on the BBEG to make them feel pretty awesome. Another thing of note might be for the cleric to yell you to the group: "I can't get the blasted heated armor off of me. Guys! I need some help, we have to take down that evil wizard!" All in all, yes it is a very powerful ability but in the end both PCs and enemies can take it, the cleric should realize this when they pick heavy armor (if they didn't just go easy on them and only use it once or twice for bosses). As for your question about the rules it is a perfectly correct interpretation of the rules but there are far worse things that you can inflict with a level 2 spell slot (Sugggestion anyone?)

G

Guest 6801328

You can always go easy on them if you prefer, but if the Cleric is the only PC in metal armor I'd say he's always going to be the target.

Depending on their level(s), they can always Dispel Magic on the armor or Counterspell the spell.

Failing that, the Cleric could wrap himself in a cloak and try to stay inconspicuous until after it has been cast. Wait till it gets used on a melee type's weapon.

And carry extra weapons.

So, yeah, great spell but if you know it's coming there are counters.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
The main problem I think is that it's a situational spell that appears to have been balanced against how often you get to use it. Players rarely get effective use out of it, while monsters are basically guaranteed 1 target to attack with it.

You might also ponder the following: why are lizardmen prepping the spell? As others have pointed out, targets wearing metal armor should be rare in a swamp, so why would they bother with it at all?

G

Guest 6801328

The main problem I think is that it's a situational spell that appears to have been balanced against how often you get to use it. Players rarely get effective use out of it, while monsters are basically guaranteed 1 target to attack with it.

You might also ponder the following: why are lizardmen prepping the spell? As others have pointed out, targets wearing metal armor should be rare in a swamp, so why would they bother with it at all?

Because Lizardfolk fight with their claws and their enemies fight with steel weapons?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
First: no guarantee their opponents are using steel weapons, because for starters much of their opposition is likely to be denizens of the swamp. Further, plenty of people won't be using metal weapons (spears/polearms and bows would be what I would expect from most military forces and hunting parties). And that's amongst weapon-wielders.

Second: 2d8 damage and target either drops a weapon/suffers disadvantage is a fairly weak 2nd level spell.

I was mostly pointing out that if lizardmen aren't expecting a party of adventurers containing someone wearing metal armor, then there's a lot of points to be made for simply not having the lizardmen prepare the spell in favour of something that would typically be better like moonbeam, flameblade or hold person and doesn't end up hammering one character over and over again.

zingbobco000

Explorer

I disagree with it being a situational spell, I found heavy use of it with my bard. I used it many different times against an assortment of enemies and almost all the time it saved our butts. The usefulness of the spell directly varies with the type of enemy you're facing. If you're facing enemies who don't wear armor/don't use metal weapons then it's a no-pick as a spell. If you're in a campaign where the enemies you fight are mostly NPCs or humanoid creatures it is insanely useful. As for lizardfolk I would definitely switch up their spell list, unless they heard that "warmbloods" were in their swamp in which case they would prepare their devastating spells. If not, Moonbeam is basically a more powerful version of Call Lightning so that's a very good pick.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I disagree with it being a situational spell, I found heavy use of it with my bard. I used it many different times against an assortment of enemies and almost all the time it saved our butts. The usefulness of the spell directly varies with the type of enemy you're facing.
Which is the definition of situational.

Wik

First Post
I dunno. I can see it as being fun. Being targeted constantly doesn't necessarily mean it's bad - it just means that the GM notices you! For some players, that's a great thing. And if it encourages the cleric to maybe swap out into a new armour set - why not? Makes perfect sense for the setting... and probably results in only a 2 point AC drop, which ain't that big a deal.

(And since shields aren't really made of much metal, he'll be fine).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads