• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heavy Armor and Fatigue

cappun

First Post
There was a recent thread on the boards about whether characters should be able to wear armor all day long without suffering affects of fatigue. I am wondering if anyone has developed fatigue rules for combat? A rogue in leather armor should be able to jump around in melee longer than a fighter in full plate. I think it would allow for more interesting tactics, like running around or fighting defensively for a few rounds to tire a big, hulking fighter out. Anybody have an thoughts on this?

Irda Ranger

First Post
I always assumed that the "Heavy Armor" feat was in part endurance training on how to going about all day in heavy armor without getting fatigued.

Now, if you sleep in heavy armor, that's a bad thing, but they already have rules for that.

Irda Ranger

Prince Atom

Explorer
Well, the last rules I saw for this are now one edition old.

Player's Option: Combat & Tactics (Boo! Hiss!) had fatigue rules. Basically, everyone has a number of fatigue points equal to their hit points; fighting costs 1 fatigue point per round. Once fatigue = 0, you reset, are fatigued, and fighting now costs 2 points per round. Once fatigue equals 0 for the second time, you either pass out or cannot pursue combat.

I don't think there were armor-specific rules, or class-specific; it was expected that warriors would be able to fight longer than wizards.

Somehow, it doesn't have the flavor of the new edition :)

I don't really think they're necessary, because they're just more bookkeeping, and I don't play those sorts of games. But you could look up PO:C&T and look at the rules there.

As an aside, I remember that a lot of the maneuvers in 3E seemed new to people when introduced in 3E; but they were most of them in C&T, so I didn't see the novelty. Also, a lot of things in the 2ndEd High-Level Campaign book are now feats (there's something called All-Around Attack that's fairly familiar :)).

TWK

Vaxalon

First Post
Having gone about in heavy armor in the SCA (and yes, it was metal, not pickle-barrel) I can tell you that carrying it around isn't a big deal, nor is fighting in it, if you know what you're doing.

What's fatiguing about the armor is heat. Heat bothers you a HECK of a lot more if you're in armor.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Vaxalon said:
What's fatiguing about the armor is heat. Heat bothers you a HECK of a lot more if you're in armor.

Which is probably one of the main reasons why the US won't invade Iraq until at least November. Those Bio-Weapon suits are no fun in the sun.

For some reason the Weather Channel.com dosn't cover Iraqi weather, but its a cool 85 F in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, but it feels like 90 today.

Irda Ranger

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads