• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heavy Artillery: Psion vs. Wizard

Psion

Adventurer
Thanee said:
Ahem. Plenty powers are

And plenty of powers -- including the ones that this thread are about -- aren't. They fail to add side effects, time delays, advantageous targeting rules, or potent save or die effects that higher level powers and effects enjoy.

How does full augmentation not factor this in!?

I compared fully augmented powers with spells there. Only fully augmented powers!

Please tell me, how full augmentation does not factor in the scaling of arcane spells.
(...)
*blink*

Not better?

Well, taking the fireball example, if you consider a +2 DC, +10 damage, chooseable save type and energy type not better, than I cannot help you, I guess. ;)

Hold on there hoss. I exlicitly only mentioned damage in the example you are talking about. You are not being fair to my point, instead only finding ways to ignore it.

Agreed - You get +2 DC over that 3rd level fireball to spend 5 more points.

OTOH, if we spend the same power/spell level equivalent, the arcane caster gets 10d6. The psion only gets 5d6.

On the gripping hand, at 10th level, the sorcerer or wizard has two spell levels worth of enhancement that they could jazz that spell up with, and they still get 10 dice worth of damage. If the psion wants to jazz the spell up, they have to cut into the points that are paying for the damage dice.

What kind of completely useless comparison is this!? Who cares for these numbers, they have no bearing on actual game play. My numbers do,

I already amplified that my numbers don't tell the whole story, but yours don't either. And my numbers certainly do have bearing on actual game play.

they show what the classes can actually do and are no hypothetical statistics with no meaning, multiplying some random numbers with other random numbers.

They are not random numbers. They are drawn directly from the spell design guidelines in the DMG and directly acknowledge those caps you are so eager to cite, which are an implicit part of spell design. So I am factoring in your points into my assessment, a courtesy that you have yet to return to me.

And the next thing you say is, that the scribing cost is a neglectable cost factor, huh?

I didn't say that, did I? Please don't put words in my mouth. My assertion was that, given scribing cost is linear, a wizard has no reason to (and in fact, would be foolish to) stick to scribing low level spells.

Yeah, of course wizards would not upgrade the spells they actually use (either directly to a higher level version of the same spell, or something fairly similar)... why should they!?

Hey, once I got the fiendish dire ape, if I was playing the wizard, I wouldn't bother upgrading summon monster for a few levels.

Similarly, if I was decked out on attack spells, I would focus on utility spells for a few levels.

"Way more" is a huge overstatement, but more, of course, maybe 20% or so.

And I beg to differ. I would be surprised if wizards don't DOUBLE the amount of spells/powers that a sorcerer/psion knows.

However 15 minutes to instant is still quite some difference. Not everytime, but also leaving slots open means to have less spells available at the moment.

Ah, but there is a very simple tactic to be used here that most wizard players know: memorize primarily spells you will need in an instant. Leave spell slots open for utility spells that you will typically not need in an instant.

And way too little as shown above, since they can keep up with the sorcerer quite good, even if they pay full price for every power they manifest.

As my analysis which you blithely threw out as irrelevant shows that a psion has LESS THAN HALF of the damage dealing capability of the sorcerer before they are exhausted.

Last edited:

Tidus4444

First Post
Thanee said:
Yeah, and the psion's non-metapsionicked Energy Ball deals 10d6+10, which is about 13d6, has a +2 higher save DC and the option for another energy type and even another save type (against those pesky Evasionists). Furthermore it has no verbal, somatic or material components.

Where's the problem?

Energy Ball can keep up easily with fireball, even a metamagicked fireball.

Bye
Thanee

Exactly my point. Where is the problem? With metamagic feats, sorcies and wizards can keep up with Psion damage at higher levels. At lower levels, psions lack a lot of the party benefiting buff spells that are oh-so useful. Seems pretty balanced to me.

Spatula

Explorer
Tidus4444 said:
Even if the psion applies empower spell to his energy cone (which expends psionic focus, BTW), we've got 12d6+8
12d6+12, actually. Empower applies to the total, not just the dice.

Now, at lower levels, a Psion will deal better damage than a wizard. The wizard has a lot more up his sleeve though. Perhaps it's simply my playing style, but I rely on buffing spells a lot. The Psion doesn't get enlarge person (that he can cast on other party members anyway, and who wants an enlarged caster?). No shield. No ani-buff spells. No Haste. No Heroism. No Stoneskin. No improved invis. No sleep. No rainbow pattern.
Shield is a range personal spell, and the psion gets force screen which is the same thing only the AC bonus can be augmented (though he has to pay through the nose for it; inertial/mage armor is a better deal but unlike the mage then the psion can wear real armor so it's not as useful for him).

Sleep = disable, though sleep is more effective.

Spatula

Explorer
Psion said:
Since the arcane casters got that benefit without paying for it from their daily allotment of spell slots (like a psion does from their PP), that is not much of a complaint.
Arcane casters get higher DCs without paying for it from their spell slots? I'm not getting you.
I'm not sure why you bring this up again.
Misunderstood your previous post.

Thanee

First Post
Psion said:
And plenty of powers -- including the ones that this thread are about -- aren't. They fail to add side effects, time delays, advantageous targeting rules, or potent save or die effects that higher level powers and effects enjoy.

Of course, which is why I cut the number in half. It's a guesstimate, but I doubt it is highly inaccurate.

Hold on there hoss. I exlicitly only mentioned damage in the example you are talking about. You are not being fair to my point, instead only finding ways to ignore it.

Nope, I just add what you are leaving out, nothing else. Comparing damage only (like Scion does, too) is not meaningful, as it ignores the rest of the picture.

On the gripping hand, at 10th level, the sorcerer or wizard has two spell levels worth of enhancement that they could jazz that spell up with, and they still get 10 dice worth of damage. If the psion wants to jazz the spell up, they have to cut into the points that are paying for the damage dice.

Hey, everyone is aware of this. And if you look closer at my above comparison, you'll find, that even if they do this (full augmentation that is), they still have a respectable number of power manifestations per day! Yes, the sorcerer has more, but 90% of them are weaker in effect than every single one the psion has.

If you take the 15th level and say that a 1st level spell plus a 6th level spell is roughly the same in total effect as a single 8th level power, than do the same for 2nd and 5th and 3rd and 4th (and this is not true, the sum is still weaker *), the number of "totals" are about equal already, the psion has them focused together (not necessarily, just when going for full augmentation always, while the sorcerer has spread them out somewhat - it's not hard to figure which is better in D&D in almost all circumstances, if I need two rounds of casting to have the (roughly) same total effect as another character has in a single round of casting, then I'm definitely weaker)!

* Sidenote: If I had to rate lower level spells against higher level spells, I'd say that one nth level spell is about the same effective total as one (n-1)th level spell PLUS one (n-2)th level spell. This is certainly not true all the time, but overall it should be fairly close. See Mytic Theurge example below for why I think this is pretty close.

Sure, there are some (few) situations, where this splitting is better, but it's not like the psion could not simply split the PP for two different weaker effects, if needed. And given the way their PP expand over the course of the levels, these will be a lot of weaker effects. If those weaker effects would be the only thing you need over the course of the day (which will never be the case for sure), then your comparison might work out and then the sorcerer would come out on top in this area (and this area only, even then still leaving plenty others where the sorcerer lacks behind), since the scaling would still be there, but the augmentation would not work out as well, altho, to be honest, I'm not even sure of this, because of the rate at which the total PP increase adds a lot of effects to the total. But as this (manifesting only low level effects) will basically never be the best possible course of action (as opposed to manifesting only (or at least lots of) high level effects, which will often be useful), it's irrelvant for actual play, anyways.

Almost everyone who plays D&D knows (or should know ;)), that single high level spells (and a fully augmented power is definitely the equivalent of a high level spell, even if you do not agree about comparing low level scaled spells to low level augmented powers, this one simply cannot be put aside) are better than multiple low level spells!

Remember the Mystic Theurge? Much more spells per day than a sorcerer and all of them are of lower levels. This example shows quite effectively, that the above is most certainly true. While the low level spells are not useless they are simply not as useful as the high level ones and that even if you rack two of those together.

I already amplified that my numbers don't tell the whole story, but yours don't either. And my numbers certainly do have bearing on actual game play.

That is what?

What does it help the sorcerer to have all these damage dice, if they cannot be brought to bear in a situation where it counts?

I didn't say that, did I? Please don't put words in my mouth. My assertion was that, given scribing cost is linear, a wizard has no reason to (and in fact, would be foolish to) stick to scribing low level spells.

Hey, I just exaggerated what you were saying. :)

And it's not very likely that a wizard can afford a plethora of high level spells to be written, they are not that cheap. Not without serious drawbacks at least (the opportunity cost of spell scribing).

Hey, once I got the fiendish dire ape, if I was playing the wizard, I wouldn't bother upgrading summon monster for a few levels.

For how many? 1? 2? There are nine levels of that spell and each of them is like twice as good as the one before.

Similarly, if I was decked out on attack spells, I would focus on utility spells for a few levels.

Of course, but can't the psion do this, too? Once he has his *two* attack powers, which cover basically every situation imaginable (slight exaggeration here ;)), the focus can be shifted on other areas. And 36 powers is a long way to go.

And I beg to differ. I would be surprised if wizards don't DOUBLE the amount of spells/powers that a sorcerer/psion knows.

If you compare single spells to single powers, I don't disagree. If you compare them on a fair base, then this will - while certainly possible - cost them more than half of their complete resources. Not to mention the huge diminishing returns here, since at some point new spells added do not add much content to a spellbook, which should be obvious, hopefully.

Ah, but there is a very simple tactic to be used here that most wizard players know: memorize primarily spells you will need in an instant. Leave spell slots open for utility spells that you will typically not need in an instant.

Yes, and this tactic still reduces the number (and thus breadth) of instantly available spells. It's still probably the best way to go for a wizard, but it's not like it would give them the flexibility of spontaneous casting in a situation where resting simply isn't possible.

As my analysis which you blithely threw out as irrelevant shows that a psion has LESS THAN HALF of the damage dealing capability of the sorcerer before they are exhausted.

Nope, it doesn't show anything. That's why I blithely throw it out as irrelvant. It is.

If you don't compare on a fair level, of course things do not look like they really are.

I have said numerous times (even in the very comparison itself I mentioned it), that sorcerers can cast more spells in a day than psions can manifest powers, but ignoring the potency of these castings/manifestations highly distorts the picture.

You only add in the potency for the sorcerer and ignore pretty much everything for the psion, by just adding up their power points as damage dice. Like the fact how many of those can be brought to bear in a single action and how often this can be done, more often than the sorcerer could ever dream of.

The Mystic Theurge example coming back to mind here.

So the Mystic Theurge is MUCH, MUCH more powerful as a spellcaster, since adding up their spell slots this way is even higher, eh?

Well, let me tell you, that the Mystic Theurge is one of the weakest spellcasters around. Because numbers do not compensate for potency!

Their offense is so weak, that they completely pale in comparison to any single class caster. They are nice for party buffs, since they can waste their spells like noone else, but that's about it.

Yet, if using your method of comparing, they would come out on top for sure (in the damage dealing department), by far even!

So, how does this fit into your picture?

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Tidus4444 said:
Exactly my point. Where is the problem? With metamagic feats, sorcies and wizards can keep up with Psion damage at higher levels. At lower levels, psions lack a lot of the party benefiting buff spells that are oh-so useful. Seems pretty balanced to me.

That's balanced to you?

That sorcerers and wizards can *only* keep up somewhat with a psion by spending feats (and even then lose out since they cannot simply switch the energy type and save type - the +2 DC alone surely makes up for the other 2d6 of damage) and then only with a fraction (10~20%) of their daily spells, since all the other slots have a lower level?

Wow!

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Wow, people feel strongly about this. Didn't mean to start a screaming match here. :\

I'm realizing what part of my problem is, and that's playing style. This is one case where the "back to the dungeon" balance of 3E doesn't work for me. I tend to throw my PCs up against fewer fights, but to make those fights tougher. It's not at all unusual for the party to face only one or two fights before they have the chance to rest. That particular style of combat makes limited-uses-per-day abilities much more potent. In fact, come to think of it...

I have never, since the day I picked up the 3.0 PHB, seen a caster run out of spells, or a barbarian run out of rages.

Obviously, if part of the psion's balance is supposed to be represented by the fact that they burn through their powers much faster if they bump them all to max, that's not going to come in play as much in my games.

Hmm... Okay, that doesn't solve all my problems. But it does explain some of them.

I do want to take a moment to clarify my position, since I started the thread.

I like psions and psionics. I feel that, for the most part, the XPH is very well balanced with core material. The only reason this is a major issue for me is because of A) play style, as described above, and B) because it doesn't sit right with me that there's a class capable of out-performing the arcane casters when it comes to offensive mystical abilities.

But people who are taking this argument as evidence that they should avoid psionics, please don't. It's a very good book, with some really cool concepts. And frankly, the problems presented above are easily houseruled, if you agree that they're an issue.

Thanee

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Wow, people feel strongly about this. Didn't mean to start a screaming match here. :\

Who's screaming?

Obviously, if part of the psion's balance is supposed to be represented by the fact that they burn through their powers much faster if they bump them all to max, that's not going to come in play as much in my games.

But that doesn't work, just read my post on page 3 (and the one here, which mentions the Mystic Theurge) - even if they do, they can still compete very well (AND have all sorts of advantages left, which are still uncompensated for (opposed by mainly lack of party buffs and a smaller total base to pick powers from, which hardly balances out well, if you compare it to something like spontaneous manifestation (as opposed to prepared casting)))!

Bye
Thanee

Thanee said:
But that doesn't work, just read my post on page 3 (and the one here, which mentions the Mystic Theurge) - even if they do, they can still compete very well (AND have all sorts of advantages left, which are still uncompensated for (opposed by mainly lack of party buffs and a smaller total base to pick powers from, which hardly balances out well, if you compare it to something like spontaneous manifestation (as opposed to prepared casting)))!

Hence my comment that it solved some of my problems, not all of them. :)

green slime

First Post
I read some strange ascertations regarding wizards here...

Majere said:
2) Wizzards rarely cast more than 2/3 of the spells per day.
Reason ? Often spells you pick are useless because you picked wrong. Unless you read the DM's notes you will never have a perfect spell list so this should be taken into account.
Spontaineous spell casting means you will always be able to use all your pps, you always have the perfect spell for the job, right there in your head.

Except, an 11th level psion (see below) can only know 22 powers, two of which are really 6th level. Your psion requires far more careful planning upon levelling, than a wizard. The wizard is far, far more likely to have a spell for just the job, and may well have the scroll tucked away, when the psion just shrugs his shoulders and says "Can't help you, I'm afraid...". And you have completely ignored the fact that if 1/3 of the spell slots are unused, the wizard should be rethinking his daily spell selection, and consider leaving slots open as suggested earlier.

Thanee said:
A 5th level wizard knows 14 spells, 2 of those are 3rd level.
A 10th level wizard knows 24 spells, 4 of those are 5th level.
A 15th level wizard knows 34 spells, 2 of those are 8th level.
A 20th level wizard knows 44 spells, 8 of those are 9th level.

I have never known a wizard to have so few spells. The PHB describes the possibility to scribe spells from a spellcaster's spellbook at the 50gp per spell level, and together with a Boccob's Blessed Book, the middle to high level Wizard's most pressing urgency is finding the time to stand still long enough to scribe the multitude of spells he can afford. 66 known spells of levels 1st and up at 11th level character level, is not unusual, IME.

Check out this wizard. 115 spells at 11th character level, ignoring cantrips.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads