• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heist!

WHW4

First Post

Our Pathfinder group is shifting around slightly with regards to the makeup of the PCs, and it seems like we'll have a mostly stealthy bent (two rogues, a sorcerer who can sneak, and a summoner).

While reading through the discussion going on in General D on wizards and the knock spell (among other things), I got to thinking what sort of mid- to high-level protections and safeguards a team of thieves might encounter on a heist.

Imagine a metropolis, standard PF assumptions on magic and such (save that there are not a lot of super high level mages in our campaign); a manor owned by... let's say a 12th level wizard and whoever works for him. How would he safeguard his abode? His stuff? How could it be thwarted?

Just looking for some random ideas. I figure our thieves should have some sort of “playbook” when dealing with situations like this, and getting a solid idea of just what a wizard is able to do to lock himself down is a start.

Dingo333

First Post
First thing that comes to mind is a 1st level spell. Alarm. very useful in general but doubly so if the wizard is making traps.

Secondly, what is the wizard guarding and how important is this item to him?

His spell book: Top priority, his is hiding this thing in a pocket dimension on his body most likely. If not, it is in a safe that will take a week to cut open (partially adamantine) with a high DC lock (good or more likely superior). Want a twist? the key hole is a stone of alarm.

His work room: Second priority, but is more likely to have a monster encounter as its guard. Golems and summon monster, as well as zombies/skeletons make good choices here. Golems especially if you have him being a golemancer and putting a brain in them, instant lab assistant. Again, the lock being a stone of alarm is a sneak way to increase the difficulty.

His Vault: Third priority, traps will do for this one. Anything with an apprpriate CR (Check page 420 of the CRB for sample traps). There is also a section for making traps (pg 422 of CRB).

I would say a stone of alarm should add +1 to the CR the first few times you use it. After that, your players may expect it and thus will be using mage's disjunction (9th level) Greater Dispel Magic (6th) and Dispel Magic (3rd) to destroy/disable the stones. Antimagic fields + mechanical traps will throw players through loops, make sure you know how much magical bonus your players have to things like AC, Saves, and Skills like disable device and take these into account when they say the save is ___. Magic Aura is also tricky, ie. "Hey that wall has an illusion spell, it looks like illusory wall, I am gonna walk through it *Boink*" or "I detect no magic in this room..." Minor image hiding the holes in the ground.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads