• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Hell leadership change.

the next adventure series probably is about the blood war ... Princes of the Apocalypse that comes out around march in 2015

I originally thought it was Demon lords and such. But it has been revealed that it is actually Elemental Evil based. So Imix, Yan-C-Bin and the other elemental princes are the focus it looks like.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Yeah, something like the Time of Troubles!
This would be torture worthy of a Lord of Hell!

Piratecat deserves a promotion!
evil3.gif

But just because it has been done bad in the past doesn't mean we should stop trying. I prefer to see people make the attempt.

Oh, absolutely. (Well, as long as they have an awareness of the problems of the prior attempts.) I wasn't suggesting people shouldn't; just that I understand why they often don't.

Henrix

Explorer
What I really dislike about these changes is that they do not add anything - it's just change for the sake of change.
There's no point, that I can see.

Henrix

Explorer
Hells Leadership changed at least slightly in every edition except 4e.

A lot of other similar changes were made, more than in any previous edition.
What Orcus was and where he lived, for instance.
What the abyss was.

But 4e wasn't alone.

All for the sake of discontinuity.

Thrashing the realms must have seemed like a great idea to the Greenwood, Salvatore, et al.

KL

First Post
Those poor leaders of the lower planes. They much dread the coming of a new edition since it always seems that something happens to them in between editions. It would be a lot cooler if these changes happened in an adventure or in a way that PCs could interact with the change and have it be more meaningful.

Oh yeah...if memory serves, the consorts of the Hells were particularly hit by hard the changing of editions:

Bensozia - killed by Levistus

Cozbi - Exiled and later presumed destroyed.

Naome - Destroyed by Asmodeus to make room for Fierna

Baalphegor - conflicting info...Fiendish Codex have her still consort to Mephisto, a Dungeon adventure said she went missing.

Malagarde - deposed to make room for Glasya

Lilith - become "second" consort to Baalzebul

Nice to see that Baftis made a come back, Glwa became a full fledge noble from her origins as a typo in Dragon magazine.

It seems only Lilis avoided the brunt of the major changes of the hierarchy.

KL

First Post
It's a fine line to walk.

In theory, I agree with you 100%. But in practice...

We've all made, or at least seen, complaints about some of the old modules, where the PCs were just observers, along for the ride. Where they didn't actually participate in the final conflict, except perhaps on the periphery, and where their actions didn't actually impact the final results.

Yet, when the company is making story changes, they have to have full control over the results.

I'm not saying it can't be done. There are ways to make the PCs feel like they've truly accomplished something while still making the change that needs making, or you can do a module and then say "The published materials moving forward assume that ending X happened, rather than Y or Z."

But none of the solutions is perfect, and it's a tricky thing to pull off even somewhat well.

Planescape modules are constantly guilty of making the PCS observers rather than active participants whose action or inaction affect the outcome.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads