Hellblazer: could they make a worse casting decision for John Constantine?

brak1

Amateur Fortean
James Marsters would be perfect for a younger Constantine - absolutely.

Just looking at some of those old Swamp Things. He was obviously based on Sting at that point. I mean, look at that hair. The end of the "Underwater Vampire" story in particular. Not that I think Sting - whatever his skills as a singer/songwriter - had the range for the character.

I wonder what Ewan McGregor (as in Trainspotting as opposed to SW) might do in that role? Trying to think of someone Hollywood would pick...

N Hammer

First Post
HellBlazer has been my favorite comic for many years....

..and that being said, I HOPE TO GOD THAT THIS MOVIE NEVER, EVER, EVER GETS MADE..'cause it is going to SUCK!!!!!!

To have Cage or Keanu even considered to play Constantine proves that the people working on this don't give two sh*ts about it. They're just looking to make money.

My choise for an actor to play John....

Sting.....The reason Constantine looks the way he does is because he was based on Sting (his appearence)

Marsters is a good choice for a young Constantine..

Lambert?...Not a bad idea.....

McGreger?...Maybe, but I have doudts.

Last edited:

WizarDru

Adventurer
Piratecat said:
Well, okay they could... if they got Danny Devito. But after Nicholas Cage dropped out of the part, the latest is that they're courting Keanu Reeves.

Keanu Reeves. As the witty, tragic, british mage. Lord help us!

I so want to stay optimistic.... :D

Source, PC? Not to doubt you, but I hear Nick Cage and Keanu Reeves names bandied about all the time for countless roles, whether or not they get considered. It's almost like a mantra aint-it-cool-news fans reiterate like a ghost story to scare each other.

Warrior Poet

Explorer
From Piratecat:

Nicholas Cage

<gasp> ... <wheeze> No, it musn't ... be so

and later:

they're courting Keanu Reeves.

Keanu Reeves. As the witty, tragic, british mage.

Ah ... vision ... failing! Breath ... constricting! 'Zwounds!

Not a big Nicholas Cage fan. The last time I enjoyed him in a movie was Raising Arizona. Since then, he seems to get by (in my opinion) on shaking his head with that semi-dazed expression in an effort to be "cool" ... or something. I know, that's not well thought out, and doesn't encompass the range of his skills, but ... just not a fan.

As for Keanu, well, I think of his turn as Don John in Much Ado About Nothing or as Jonathon Harker in Bram Stoker's Dracula and ... shudder. Fine in The Matrix -- a role that perhaps lends itself well to his abilities. But as Constantine? Oh, oh, dear, no.

I would think this would be a film that would be a great opportunity for an actor we haven't really seen yet. Give someone with talent a shot, but avoid preconceptions by giving it to someone with talent who's not a big name.

And with that, I'll adjourn ... with sincerest hopes that they won't choose Cage or Reeves.

Thanks, :D

Warrior Poet

Last edited:

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
MulhorandSage said:
As Sting is too old, my vote goes to Ewan McGregor for a younger version or Kenneth Branagh for a more mature version.

Scott Bennie

Kenneth "Shakespeare" Branagh? I've never thought of him as a potential John Constantine :O

Remove ads