• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hellish rebuke question

Zimri

First Post
So the text for hellish rebuke (or the part of hellish rebuke I am concerned with at the moment) reads like this

Hit: 1d6 + Constitution modifier fire damage. If you take damage before the end of your next turn, the target takes an extra 1d6 + Constitution modifier fire damage.

So let's say I use my minor action to curse the BBEG of the encounter, Then cast and hit with this

so thats 1d6 +con (5), +1d6 for the curse

I still have my move action left and can move up to 6 squares if I provoke and take damage from let's say 6 opportunity attacks do I do 1d6 +con (5) damage to the bbeg for each OA or just the first one ? what if I danced in and out of a cloud of daggers ?

Did I just break something ?

Mort_Q

First Post
If you take damage before the end of your next turn, the target takes an extra 1d6 + Constitution modifier fire damage.

If you take damage... not when you take damage. It's not per hit, or per attack.

If you take damage they take damage. Happens once.

Zimri

First Post
Thanks Mort that was a very quick and reasonable response. Still allows for a doubling of the damage. Let's see if anyone disagrees 8)

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
How does that allow for a doubling of damage? Unless you mean 1d6 for the initial attack and 1d6 for when you take damage is doubling, in which case yes, that's exactly how it's supposed to work.

Basically, after you hit someone with the power, you have until the end of your next turn to take damage. If that happens, your target takes the extra damage. It doesn't matter how many times you take damage or from what source, just that you take damage after hitting the bad guy and before the end of your next turn.

1d6+Con for hit, 1d6+Con if you take damage during the window. That's max return on Hellish Rebuke, barring extra damage from other sources (like curse, etc...)

Zimri

First Post
How does that allow for a doubling of damage? Unless you mean 1d6 for the initial attack and 1d6 for when you take damage is doubling, in which case yes, that's exactly how it's supposed to work.

Yes that was exactly what I meant, cast it, do the initial damage, do something that will hurt me a little to potentially double (or more) the initial damage (if the first damage roll was low for instance)

Maladrac

First Post
This is starting to get a little frustrating. It's becoming obvious that there are quite a few places where they have used a poor choice of words to define a rule, and then you're left to try to decifer what they mean.

In this instance they say "If A, then B (for this duration)." Seems pretty straight forward until you get a player who thinks it happens an unlimited number of time and a DM who is sure it happens only once.

I agree with what you all have said on this particular rule, but it could have (and should have) been clearer.

Now if they had said, "whenever" instead of "if", I would have thought they clearly meant that it could happen 'whenever'. But even that's not so clear, because they use the phrase "whenever a marked target..." under the fighter's Combat Challenge description, but it happens as an 'immediate interrupt', and you can only do an immediate interrupt once per round.

Stating the conditions, effects and durations ais a given, but every entry should clearly state the number of times it can be performed within the duration.

Remove ads