• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hello, I am lawyer with a PSA: almost everyone is wrong about the OGL and SRD. Clearing up confusion.

S'mon

Legend
There's a general rule of interpretation that a contract licence of indefinite duration can be terminated on reasonable notice - an implied term. I don't think that applies here, due to eg the use of the word Perpetual combined with the specific termination provisions. And the general aim & wording of the licence as a statedly Open Gaming licence, parralleling Open Software licences.

Not to mention what WotC always said it meant, until a few days ago!

If you want to understand where the Agreement argument comes from, I point you to Page 11 of this thread. User 'bmcdaniel' lines out a very coherent and compelling opinion as to why that is the case. I have no problem believing that opinion comes from a position of considerable experience with these kinds of matters.
Well, you can hope.

as did you, yours was just a much worse example
Quite the opposite, in fact.
That is like saying you win an argument by hitting the other guy over the head. You might get him to shut up, you have not proven your position to be correct (not that at that point there is an appreciable difference for the other guy)
That is how civil cases generally get resolved: time and money. The side with the most of each generally wins.

is it expensive enough that bringing one can tip the scales to the person with the bigger bank account? I am sure that to those of us in the "under 70K a year) range in the US EVERYTHING dealing with this kind of case costs a ton of money... I would not be surprised if my annual salary got spent in a few days on a case like this.
As a general rule, one day in court with a better-than-average lawyer is $10,000.

For each appearance in court, figure $5000+ in billing hours for preparation.

An opponent with in-house attorneys faces much less costs, so by dragging things out and maximizing the number of motions and similar court interactions, they can bleed an opponent quickly.

how... I mean that is insane cases that are about deaths can take 5 year!?! I know people can drag things out but I would think that would step on the gas... I guess I hold too much hope in some ways.
It didn't take five years; after five years the people suing Ford gave up and accepted a pocket change settlement. Who knows how many years it would have taken to actually get to trial, assuming it ever did.

Five years isn't all that long, really.

Catolias

Explorer
With T&T it goes the other way - T&T was deliberately modelled on D&D, but intended to be simpler and more intuitive.

Whether T&T infringed any TSR-owned copyrights I leave for others to try and work out!
Thanks! I did not know that about T&T. (Played it in my teens in the 80s).

Remove ads