• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Help balancing a spell

spartanah

Explorer
I saw on other forum a magnificent spell, I want to use it for my Bladesinger for it is thematically perfect.
how would you balance it, to compare it with fireball for example? I thought about adding 2 attacks and make it 8 strikes, not 8 different opponents.

BLINK STRIKE

3rd-level conjuration

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
Class: Wizard

You momentarily disappear and make a series of strikes against nearby foes. Choose up to six four creatures within the spell's range. You reappear briefly beside each target and make one melee attack against them before returning to your original location.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, you can target two additional creatures for each slot level above 4th.

Dausuul

Legend
I saw on other forum a magnificent spell, I want to use it for my Bladesinger for it is thematically perfect.
how would you balance it, to compare it with fireball for example? I thought about adding 2 attacks and make it 8 strikes, not 8 different opponents.
If you deal 1d8+5 damage per strike, eight strikes with no restriction would mean you could dump 8d8+40 (average 76) on a single target. That's more than disintegrate, a spell 3 levels higher! And a magic weapon would add even more.

On the other hand, the spell as written is distinctly underwhelming. My suggestion: Four targets, but you get two attacks on each. That's 2d8+10, averaging 19. A fireball averages 28, but requires the targets to be grouped closer and can do a lot of collateral damage, plus it's a commonly-resisted damage type. I'd also scale the range as well as the number of targets:

BLINK STRIKE
3rd-level conjuration

Range: 30 feet
Class: Wizard

You rapidly teleport from one enemy to another. Choose up to four creatures within the spell's range. You appear briefly beside each target and make two melee attacks against it, then return to your original location.

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, for each slot level above 3rd, the range increases by 10 feet and you can target two additional creatures.

marcelvdpol

Explorer
Its a great spell for a Bladesinger (the SCAG spells are nice too) and for a Bladesinger a definite alternative to spells like Fireball, Lighting Bolt etc. 8 Attacks is nothing to be sneezed at; an average of 8+ to hit and 1d8 + 4 damage (assuming the Bladesinger has 18 dex or a +1 Rapier) is in total 8 * 13/20 * 8.5 = 44.2 damage. On the other hand this spell will depend on the Armour Class of your opponents, thus having the same weaknesses as the Fighter, Barbarian or Ranger would have against high AC opponents.

A Fireball or Lightning Bolt can do more but depends a great deal on fitting enough monsters in the area of effect to make it worth it; some monsters have Fire resistance and/or a good Dexterity save. Note however that the Blink Strike spell will target other defenses compared to Fireball or Lightning Bolt, thus makes a good alternative for a Bladesinger against for example Fire Elementals.

OB1

Jedi Master
I like the suggested re-write by @Dausuul My only suggestion would be that higher spell slots target one additional creature (for two attacks) rather than two additional. I'd also think about allowing rangers, paladins and EKs access to the spell.

Edit: Had a couple more thoughts

Range should be self. Then describe in the spell description that you teleport to any creature within 30' of you. Though it might also be interesting to have the spell be one creature within 30' so the wizard can cast it on an ally rather than herself.

Which then leads me to the 5th level version of this spell, Mass Blink Strike which would effect yourself and 2 other creatures that you choose.

Last edited:

Dausuul

Legend
Though it might also be interesting to have the spell be one creature within 30' so the wizard can cast it on an ally rather than herself.

Which then leads me to the 5th level version of this spell, Mass Blink Strike which would effect yourself and 2 other creatures that you choose.
I wouldn't go in that direction. Casting on an ally powers-up the spell substantially, and also wrecks its "bladesinger" focus. There would be no reason to cast it on yourself, even as a bladesinger, if you could drop it on the fighter or barbarian.

First off, you're teleporting yourself. So the range is "Self" not 30 feet.

From a design perspective, fireball is the benchmark spell for 3rd level, so no 3rd level spell should be better than it. So we should aim for slightly less damage.
Really, it shouldn't just be "fireball but slashing damage". Otherwise it's easier to just cast fireball but get your DM to give it slashing damage and reflavour it as you teleporting and slashing repeatedly at every creature. So it should so something else as well.

Two melee attacks seem too much from a narrative perspective. You're only there for a second and hitting twice seems like it would take far longer. Plus, rolling that many dice and communicating the numbers to the DM will be slow. It's eight attacks!
Plus you get to add your ability score to each die, rather than just once (if at all). So it could easily be 4d8+4 damage or even 4d8+8. That alone is well within the spell damage chart for 3rd level in the DMG (see pg 283-4).
However, you do want the spell to deal somewhat reliable damage. Since you're attacking suddenly and from an unexpected direction, having advantage on the attack would be reasonable. And faster at the table, since you just ignore one die.

I also don't see why all the enemies need to be in range when the spell is cast. It seems like a spell that would be neat to cast down a corridor, letting you also teleport and bamf around the battlefield. Or why you need to return to your original space. That's a cool visual, but the benefit of being able to chose to get to the far side of a battlefield is also cool and adds a variant benefit of transportation to the spell (making it more than then aforementioned fireball but slashing damage).

From a nitpicky design perspective, spells seldom use the term "enemy". It's "hostile creature" or "target" or even "creature you recognize as an enemy". The spell should also specify that you have to be able to see the creature, and that there needs to be an unoccupied space for you to occupy, even if just for a fraction of a second.
I'm uncertain if this needs to specify "melee weapon attack" or not. In theory "melee attack" could equally refer to a melee spell attack or other non-weapon attack.
The exact distance from the creature should also be specified. You appear within 5 feet. Otherwise you might get wizards trying to use this with a polearm.

Here's what I'd do with the spell:

BLINKING STRIKES
3rd-level conjuration

Range: Self

As you step forward you're surrounded in shimmering light. Between steps you teleport up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space you can see that is within 5 feet of a hostile creature. You can make a melee weapon attack against that creature, striking as if you were hidden from the target. Immediately after the attack, you teleport again, blinking to an unoccupied space you can see within 15 feet. If there is a hostile creature within 5 feet you can make another attack, teleporting again after that attack. You continue to attack then teleport until you have made four attacks or teleport into a space farther than 5 feet from a hostile creature. After making a fourth attack, you can choose to remain in your current space, teleport to an unoccupied space you can see within 15 feet, or return to your original space if it is within 30 feet.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, for each slot level above 3rd, you can teleport and attack one additional time.

Design Commentary: To get the "advantage on attacks" I mentioned, I added the line about attacking as hidden. Which does that, but also allows certain creatures to just negate that if they're prenatally aware.
The design as written also allows you to bamf back and forth between two creatures. Or even bamf around a single foe. This is on purpose, making it a stronger spell against smaller mobs, and again different from fireball.

Giant2005

First Post
Keep in mind how easily weapon damage can be increased.
Things like Duelist, Improved Divine Smite, magic weapons, how easy it is to get Advantage with a melee weapon, and simply using a better than 1d8 weapon really unbalance the spell.
It needs to be balanced to a point where it is slightly better than Fireball when it is perfectly optimized. That way the default will be less power, but the player has the ability to empower it if they are willing to build for it.

mellored

Legend
Instead of 2 attacks, why not advantage? More fitting that an insta-slash isn't very blockable. It also ups the damage a little, but not much. I also see no reason to return to your original location, let it have better targeting as well. So lower damage, but added flexible targeting and movement. And don't forget, magic weapons help.

IMO:

Level 1: Blink-Slash
Target: Self.
You instantly transport yourself past an enemies defenses, striking from an unexpected direction. Teleport up to 30' to an unoccupied space and make a single melee attack against with advantage.
At Higher Level: For each spell level beyond first you can repeat the effect an additional time but must select a different target.

Level 3: Quantum-Bladestorm.
You simultaneously appear next to every foe around you attacking with such high speed that your blade nigh unblockable. Select an unoccupied space beside each creature you choose within 30'. You appear in all those spaces simultaneously. While adjacent, you make a single melee attack treating each attack roll as if you had rolled a 15 and you can add your Intelligence modifier to the damage. You can then choose one of those spaces or your starting space to return to, only existing in that 1 place. Any effect that would apply to you, such as if you appeared in a cloud of daggers or hit someone with flame shield, does not take effect until you return to 1 spot.
At Higher Level: Increase the range by 10' for each level spell level beyond 3rd.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads