D&D 5E Help choose a Bladesingers spell list.

GarrettKP

Explorer
Let me start by prefacing this with I fully plan to play the character as a gish first and a wizard second.

I want my spell list to focus on augmenting my Melee combat. But after picking the essentials I'm now having trouble picking the extra spells.

I'm currently planning up to level 5 to keep things relatively simple for this thread. Here are the spells I've decided on so far:

Cantrips:
Minor Illusion (obvious utility is obvious)
Green Flame Blade (the best Melee cantrip for a Singer at this time)
Ray of Frost (chose over Firebolt because I like the speed debuff)
Sword Burst (for an at will crowd control spell in case of emergency)

1st Level:
Absorb Elements (for those AOE spells I can't avoid)
Detect Magic (obvious utility is obvious)
Expeditious Retreat (run away faster)
Mage Armor (for until I get magic light armor and don't have to waste a spell slot)
Magic Missile (homing rockets cause reasons)
Find Familiar (see detect magic/minor illusion)
Shield (this and absorb elements should help me stay alive)

2nd Level:
Blurr (harder to hitter, harder to be killed)
Invisibility (helps get away when needed)
Mirror Image (see blur)
Misty Step (see invisibility)

3rd Level:
Counter spell (cause why not?)
Haste (ultimate gish spell)

Please feel free to tell me what I should fill it in with and what I should replace and why. Unless I messed up the count I need 3 more spells to fill the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

famousringo

First Post
I feel like GFB and Sword burst basically do the same thing: Melee range AoE. And since GFB will be more effective most of the time, I'd replace Sword Burst with Booming Blade or another utility cantrip. Maybe Blade Ward for if you get in over your head or Shocking Grasp to facilitate escape.

I also feel like Blur and Mirror Image basically do the same thing. Pick whether you want the one that doesn't run out of charges or the one that doesn't use concentration, and trade the other one for Magic Weapon.

And I only count 1 more 1st level spell for you. You start with 6 at level 1, gain 2 per level for 4 more levels for a total of 14, and you've picked 13. I'd go with Sleep or maybe Tasha's, because a wizard has got to have at least a little control.

Dasem

First Post
You've got the Gish part of the spells covered. What you're missing is the Wizard part.

Where's the Fireball? Lightning Bolt? Let's look at outside of combat, too; Fly? Dispel Magic? Identify?

Prism

Explorer
If you plan on being mobile in combat using misty step and maybe the mobile feat you may find that booming blade works better than green flame blade. Assuming you move in and out it can put an opponent off from following you and also deals more direct single opponent damage if they do. Thunder damage is also better than fire damage at higher levels

I would add fly and at some point protection from evil as its one of the best defensive spells

the_move

First Post
Mirror Image is better for wizards, because it does not require concentration, unlike Blur. Also your images benefit from your high dexterity. Blur is a good spell for protective Eldritch Knights in Heavy Armor and Shield (when Protection from Evil and Good does not work).

GrumpyGamer

First Post
Fear (3rd Level) is a very hard spell to cast from the bank ranks, so being a Gish you likely can achieve better positioning. The spell itself is very powerful in that it can clear out mobs between you and an enemy leader, and it causes them to drop the items they are holding before they run, so even if they save later in the combat they may be weaponless.

Haste (3rd Level) is still a very good spell, but lost a bit of its luster with the Sword Coast Guide, as you can't use it to attack twice with your melee cantrips.

Remove ads