• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Help convert my homebrew races to 4e?

BigCat

First Post
Hi folks. I just got my 4e books over the weekend, and I'm loving it! Unfortunately I'm also dreading converting my homebrew 3.5 races over. I just don't have a feel for the system yet.

There are four races with a vague elemental flavor: Zamini (earth), Aatashi (fire), Sukuni (water), Tugayani (air).

Zamini
“Yes…yes, I think I can break that.”
-Kner, Zamini leader
They are tall, broad, shouldered, with brown, rough skin. Dark, short hair, and often bald. Typically reticent and slow to emotion. Orderly and diligent.
+2 Str , -2 Int, -2 Cha
+4 to Craft checks with stone and metal
Can use stone shape (as the spell, with 10 minute casting time) 1/day
+4 to defend against bull rush/trip
Favored class: Fighter

Aatashi
“I wonder how that works…”
-Ravid, Aatashi philosopher
They are wiry and physically weak with bright red hair and shining gold eyes. Talkative and perceptive. Known for their curiosity, they sometimes will pursue a new investigation with the slightest of clues.
+2 Int, -2 Str
+4 to Knowledge checks
Can use comprehend languages 1/day, Light 3/day
Fire resistance 5
Favored class: Bard

Sukuni
“Let’s all discuss this calmly.”
-Kesh, Aatashi Cleric of the Deep
They are powerfully built from lives at crushing depths, and often awkward on land. Dark skin ranging to black with long, thin hair. Their eyes are dark green-black, and are both unsettling and calming for surface dwellers to look upon. Most sentients find them to be genuinely relaxing to converse with.
+2 Con, -2 Dex
Low light vision 60’
Breathe underwater
Swim speed 40 (+8 swim checks)
+4 to diplomacy checks
+2 AC when in water
Favored class: Cleric

Tuguyani
“What are we waiting for?”
Trazen, Tugayani spellthief
Rail thin, with paper white skin and hair. They have trouble sitting still, fidgeting constantly, with slightly manic eyes. Impulsive and eager, they will try something new at the drop of a hat – and often abandon projects half-done.
+2 Dex, -2 Con
Glide (fall from any height, 20 ft horizontally for every 5 foot descent, 40’ speed,
average maneuverability)
+2 Climb/Balance/Jump
+2 AC against airborne opponents
Favored class: Rogue

Thanks for any help!

malcolm_n

Adventurer
Here's an attempt at pulling in the flavor
[sblock=updated races]
Zamini
“Yes…yes, I think I can break that.”
-Kner, Zamini leader
They are tall, broad, shouldered, with brown, rough skin. Dark, short hair, and often bald. Typically reticent and slow to emotion. Orderly and diligent.
+2 Str , +2 Int
Medium Size
6 squares
Vision: Normal
Languages: Common and Racial
+2 Perception, +2 Insight
Can use Shape Stone as a racial power once per encounter.

SHAPE STONE Zamini Racial Power
You focus on the ground and in a blink it becomes putty for your mind to sculpt.
Encounter * (Special), Zone
Standard Action close burst 2
Effect: You create a zone of difficult terrain where you stand. You can pass through the zone unhindered and can end the effect as a minor action.
ZAMINI CRAFTSMANSHIP [Zamini]
Tier: Heroic
Prerequisite: Zamini Race, Intelligence 15
Benefit: You gain a +5 bonus to checks made to craft mundane items. this bonus doesn't stack with trained skills.
They are wiry and physically weak with bright red hair and shining gold eyes. Talkative and perceptive. Known for their curiosity, they sometimes will pursue a new investigation with the slightest of clues.
+2 Dex, +2 Int
Medium
Speed: 7
+1 racial bonus to untrained Knowledge checks
You have mastered and can cast the Comprehend Language Ritual Spell even if you don't have the Ritual Caster feat. If you have the Ritual Caster feat, you can cast the spell in half the time.
Resist Fire 5

Sukuni
“Let’s all discuss this calmly.”
-Kesh, Aatashi Cleric of the Deep
They are powerfully built from lives at crushing depths, and often awkward on land. Dark skin ranging to black with long, thin hair. Their eyes are dark green-black, and are both unsettling and calming for surface dwellers to look upon. Most sentients find them to be genuinely relaxing to converse with.
+2 Con, +2 Charisma
Medium
Speed 5 (sturdy like dwarf)
Swim speed 6
Low-light vision
Cannot be drowned or suffocated
+2 to diplomacy checks
Rail thin, with paper white skin and hair. They have trouble sitting still, fidgeting constantly, with slightly manic eyes. Impulsive and eager, they will try something new at the drop of a hat – and often abandon projects half-done.
+2 Dex, +2 Con
Medium
Speed 6
+2 Athletics, +2 Acrobatics
Slowfall: As the Wizard Utility
Avian: Can trade utility powers from their class for powers of the same level which grant the ability to levitate or fly.
+2 to AC and Reflex against enemies with higher ground.

[/sblock]

Remove ads