• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help Creating Epic Level Sorcerer

MensurB

First Post
HI
I am still in the process to create my Epic Level Sorcerer. My DM made us 25th level and so far everything is done except my spells. He will not let us Multiclass, so that nice prestige class from forgotten realms is out of question. I have Maximize, Empower, Quicken, and some Energy subs feats...any other ideas or changes? Also I am currently using only two of my 3 Epic feats and they are Epic spellcasting and The one that lets you learn two more spells. I know a total of 6 9th level spells! So what else should I get? Also regarding Magical items. I can get one ring one staff and one type of armor (or bracers) plus 8 other magical items. None of them can be more then 135000 GP. I have a total of 1900000 or something like that. So this means that I can get an item that gives me a plus six to charisma right. Also is it possible to create a headband with a +6 CHR, and the spells DeathWard and Protection From Evil on it under or for 135000GP? If you have any other suggestions regarding magical items or spells or feats or anything else then please feel free to help. Thank you very much.

Here is what I though of so far, is this good? Please feel free to add on.

1st Level
Magic Missile
Shield

2nd Level
Knock

3rd Level
Fireball
Haste
Fly

4th Level
Enervasion

5th Level
Wall of Force
Ghostform

6th Level
Greater Dispelling

7th Level
Limited Wish
Teleport w/out error

8th Level
Horrid Wilting

9th Level (total of six, read above)
Wish
Meteor
Weird

P.S There was an 8th level spell somewhere that lets you go back in time one round, does anyone know where I can find it because that spell quickened can save your live.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orco42

First Post
For the headband yes.

The cost is 132,000 gp.

Deathward [4 [spell level] x 7 [caster level] x 2000] = 56000
+6 Chr [36000 x 2 [additional ability on one item]] = 72000
Pro Evil [1 [spell level] x 1 [caster level] x 2000 x 2 [additional ability on one item]] = 4000

What books are allowed for spell and items?

Last edited:

Destil

Explorer
Orco42 said:
For the headband yes.

The cost is 132,000 gp.

Pro Evil [1 [spell level] x 1 [caster level] x 2000 x 2 [additional ability on one item]] = 4000
Very very generous for a item with continual protection from evil. At this price it really needs to be command word activated to simply trigger the spell on one's self (at 1st caster level). There's a thread where such an item's price is discussed here:
http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38466

Shard O'Glase

First Post
MensurB said:
HI
I am still in the process to create my Epic Level Sorcerer. My DM made us 25th level and so far everything is done except my spells. He will not let us Multiclass, so that nice prestige class from forgotten realms is out of question. I have Maximize, Empower, Quicken, and some Energy subs feats...any other ideas or changes? Also I am currently using only two of my 3 Epic feats and they are Epic spellcasting and The one that lets you learn two more spells. I know a total of 6 9th level spells! So what else should I get? Also regarding Magical items. I can get one ring one staff and one type of armor (or bracers) plus 8 other magical items. None of them can be more then 135000 GP. I have a total of 1900000 or something like that. So this means that I can get an item that gives me a plus six to charisma right. Also is it possible to create a headband with a +6 CHR, and the spells DeathWard and Protection From Evil on it under or for 135000GP? If you have any other suggestions regarding magical items or spells or feats or anything else then please feel free to help. Thank you very much.

I'm going to add commentary about your feats. The one that lets you learn two new spells, that's cool and all but if you fit the pre-reqs go for the one that lowerd metamagic costs by 1 level feat, empower at +1 level is sick.

2 ditch maximze its cool and has flavor but it doesn't hang with empower.

3 I'd normally say ditch quicken it aint great and anyways a sorcerer can't use it. But who knows what the 3.5 mods will be, and I susepct there will be some change on this feat.

4 take chain spell it is mildy effective at chaining some attack spells(usualyl save or die types) but t rocks at chaining hasteand a targeted greater dispell and other more effect based things.

5 take some save or die spells. Hold monster is a classic.

6 take fabricate its too useful for words.

7 take mindblank 24 hour protection vs all div and mind effecting spells.

8 I'm sure see invis will be common place but improved invis is cool, and as a substitute so is blink.

9 meteor swarm is highly over-rated, and wierd is just a weak wail of the banshee. Shapechange is flat out broke, time stop rocks, monster domination is sick, and gate rules the roost.

10 tensers transformation normally I'd say don't worry about it, but at epic with all the high SR, and high saves it amy eb needed for you to have an effect directly.

11 think of taking spell focus and spell penetration, again at epic levels saves and SR are just sick.

can't think of anything else at the moment.

Orco42

First Post
Destil said:
Very very generous for a item with continual protection from evil. At this price it really needs to be command word activated to simply trigger the spell on one's self (at 1st caster level). There's a thread where such an item's price is discussed here:
http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38466

I just used the item creation rules in the DMG. The item is quite powerful and most DM's will say no. But you can always try to get it by him. ;)

Gilrion

First Post
What sources are available? I will assume Core Rules, splatbooks, and FR material--since you mentioned FR stuff.

MensurB said:
I have Maximize, Empower, Quicken, and some Energy subs feats...any other ideas or changes?

Don't take more than one Energy Substitution IMO... I'd take one at the most, if at all. At high levels, elemental damage-dealing spells aren't that hot IMO. Take sonic if you just want to get past resistances, but consider cold. If you take a fire and a lightning spell, you're covered for the 3 most "important" elements. These are the elements some monsters have vulnerabilities to.
Also consider feats like Improved Initiative (getting the first strike can mean the difference between life and death), Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus, Spell Penetration. More metamagics are always nice, and Still and Silent can be quite useful.

Also I am currently using only two of my 3 Epic feats and they are Epic spellcasting and The one that lets you learn two more spells. I know a total of 6 9th level spells! So what else should I get?

Consider other stuff, like Automatic Still and Silent (auto quicken will have to wait for now), Spell Stowaway (can you take this yet? I don't have the book handy). How do you have 6 9th level spells, though? Sorcerer gives you 3, and the feat gives you 2...

Also regarding Magical items. I can get one ring one staff and one type of armor (or bracers) plus 8 other magical items. None of them can be more then 135000 GP. I have a total of 1900000 or something like that. So this means that I can get an item that gives me a plus six to charisma right. Also is it possible to create a headband with a +6 CHR, and the spells DeathWard and Protection From Evil on it under or for 135000GP?

Sounds like your DM is restricting magic items, which is a good thing: an epic level game started at epic levels will quickly become crazy if players are just given their millions to spend. For items, here is what I suggest:
1 ring: ring of spell-battle
1 staff: make it a custom one with spells you don't have, and a theme to lower costs (see Tome and Blood pricing guidelines example)
1 armor: bracers of armor +8 (or moon bracers of you have the money)
8 others: tough choice... here are some suggestions:
- Amulet of Charisma +6 (must-have)
- Cloak of Stars (as Robe of Stars, but +5 luck bonus on saves--should be 118,000 gp unless I'm mistaken)
- Pin of Warding (+5 resistance bonus to saves, immunity to magic missile (price this off the brooch of shielding or harper's pin), protection from evil, doesn't occupy an item slot)
- Ring of Wizardry IV. Too bad, you can't afford the Ring of Spell Turning. Alternatively, get yourself a Ring of Telekinesis and save a spell known (if you like the spell)
- Tome of Charisma +4. The +5 time costs 2,500 gp more than the limit your GM set.
- Crystal Ball with True Seeing and Telepathy (if you don't have the spell)
- some storage item. I like the Belt of Many Pockets for the familiar pocket, but Portable Hole is nice
- one or more metamagic rods

Death Ward as a secondary power (which has double cost) is 112,000 gp, so there's not much of a chance to tack it onto something else.
These are just some suggestions. Try to make your own items within the limits set. I wouldn't go for stat-enhancing items except for Charisma. Instead, take Endurance and/or Cat's Grace, and Empower high level versions of them. The results are at least as high. Once you reach level 27, you can take Improved Metamagic (the feat that makes all metamagicks cost 1 level less) and empower these spells 9 or 10 times, which yields obsene stat bonuses (something like +12 to +25, depending on the d4 result). This is why it is a good idea to have the spell Eagle's Splendor, since your DC's will sky-rocket. It doesn't affect slots per day, though, so you still need the cha-enhancing items.

I'll add some suggestions to your spells. Remember to balance out your spell list as a whole, with offensive, defensive and utility spells. You should keep offense varied: some damage-dealing, some save-or-die. If you can replace a spell known with an item, do it. Here goes:

1st Level
Magic Missile
Shield
>>
Unseen Servant
Feather Fall
Protection from Evil
True Strike

2nd Level
Knock
>>
Alter Self
Endurance/Eagle's Splendor/Cat's Grace (use with empower)
See Invisibility
Detect Thoughts
Fog Cloud

3rd Level
Fireball
Haste
Fly
>>
Clairaudience/Clairvoyance
Slow
Suggestion
Wind Wall (never worry about archers again)
Protection from Elements (make sure you take at least one spell of this type)

You could drop Fireball (and go for a 5th-level evocation instead, like Firebrand) but that may not be very believable in terms of advancement. My advice: take advantage of the fact that you're starting at a higher level. Plus, who says everyone has to take Fireball or Lightning Bolt as soon as possible.

4th Level
Enervasion
>>
Polymorph Other
Dimension Door
Improved Invisibility
Charm Monster
Dimensional Anchor

5th Level
Wall of Force
Ghostform
>>
Hold Monster
Firebrand or Ball Lightning (if you don't take Fireball of LB at 3rd)
Telekinesis
Prying Eyes
Persistent Image (always a good idea to keep an illusion on the list. this one is powerful and doesn't require concentration)

6th Level
Greater Dispelling
>>
True Seeing
Disintegrate (a must-have for utility and offense. gets rid of Wall spells)
Eyebite (a free attack, essencially)
Chain Lightning?

7th Level
Limited Wish
Teleport w/out error
>>
Energy Immunity (lasts 24 hours)
or
Power Word: stun (no save, but 150 hp limit--potencially useless in epic play)

8th Level
Horrid Wilting
>>
Mind Blank (just read it... indispensable at high levels)
Polymorph Any Object (instant <whatever you want>)
Maze (no save, no SR)

9th Level (total of six, read above)
Wish
Meteor
Weird
>>
Time Stop
Gate (an absolute must)
Shapechange (for fun)
Mordenkainen's Disjunction (ruins loot but wins fights)
Chain Contingency or Simbul's Spell Trigger

I'd drop Weird (two saves...) and Meteor Swarm (I'm not very keen on damage-dealing evocations at high levels).

Demon Knight

First Post
In response to the suggestion for Improved Metamagic, unfortunately you cannot qualify for that feat until 27th level (30 ranks in Spellcraft). And yes, Empower at +1 level is sick...

*drools over a 5 times empowered, maximized Vampiric Touch...*

Vampiric Touch is one of my favorite spells, sue me :)

Since you have Quicken Spell, go for the juicy feat: Multispell. Take Arcane Preparation so you can benefit from it. I know some don't like Quicken Spell, but casting 4 spells in one round is nothing to sneeze at.

Consider Improved Spell Capacity as well. IIRC, you get bonus spells for high Cha even for spell levels above 9th.

Sorcerers are even morepowerful when they carry Metamagic Rods. A lesser Rod of quickening could prove very useful to an Epic Sorcerer with Multispell, getting off those essential lower level spells with ease.

Put those Metamagic rods into Gloves of Storing for easy access. Quiver of Ehlonna works too, unless your DM is strict with the "Command" activation to retrieve an item.

Last edited:

MensurB

First Post
Thank you all for replying

Thank you for your help, look like I will be making some changes :)

I will reply with more in a couple of minutes.

Thank you once again.

MensurB

First Post
"The cost is 132,000 gp.

What books are allowed for spell and items?"
Thank you this is definetly worth it, my DM doesn't care if its a little overpowered as long as its in the core books. Also, the bracers of armor +8 cost 64000 can I put the spell penetration feat into them kind of like the robe of archmagi has? I can use the phb, tome and blood(and the other ones), and FR stuff.

"7 take mindblank 24 hour protection vs all div and mind effecting spells.
10 tensers transformation normally I'd say don't worry about it, but at epic with all the high SR, and high saves it amy eb needed for you to have an effect directly."
I don't think I will need this spell b/c of the headband above. I am looking into Tensers transformation, but chainspell feat will not work with it so I am not sure. Offcoarse I will be taking Time Stop.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Demon Knight said:
In response to the suggestion for Improved Metamagic, unfortunately you cannot qualify for that feat until 27th level (30 ranks in Spellcraft). And yes, Empower at +1 level is sick...

Yeah I knew it had a decent level pre-req but I was at work and couldn't remember exactly what level it was. But that is the must take epic feat, and usually must take multiple times.

Remove ads