• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help decide on a new class for a player in the Banewarrens

JesterPoet

First Post
I've just started running The Banewarrens online for a group of friends
spread out across the country. One player is pretty new to D&D, and the
rest are pretty experienced. The new player created a bard, but it's not
working out tremendously well for him. He does not have very many
opporutinutes to really use the bards skill set and he has quite a bit
of downtime for this type of dungeon crawl. The bard seemed like a
really good choice at first, as he was looking forward to roleplaying,
but since there is so much combat in the banewarrens, he spends a lot of
time just inspiring courage, which isn't tremendously interesting, while
everyone else is fighting.

So we've started thinking about him creating a new character. He has
only ever played a rogue type, but he's also very interested in having a
character with noble ambitions. He'd love to have a character with
valorous ambitions who can take charge of the group and lead them into
battle some of the time. Since he is interested in roleplaying, it's
also good to try to find something that allows for that. There's plenty
of room in the party for a face man, but it'd be nice if he's useful for
more than that.

The characters are 6th level. Not including his bard, there is a
fighter/mage (primarily fighter), a cleric, and a druid, as well as an
NPC rogue (4th level) who could certainly perish.

We've discussed the possibility of a rogue/ranger, or a paladin. Core
stuff would be best, though I could see my way to allowing WoTC PrCs if
something's really worth it.

Any recommendations you can give would be appreciated. The player will be watching this thread as well, and will be glad to answer other questions, I'm sure. Thanks!

diaglo

Adventurer
the bard would work. but you need to give him some more stuff to do with his bard knowledge. like finding out some kewl things about the various banes.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
You've got a bit of a problem, here. Notably, that he wants to play a character that interacts with NPC's, convinces people, runs cities, and is generally not the kind of guy you'd find very often clearing out dungeons. But the adventure is mostly about clearing out dungeons.

So there's a few options. You can either accomodate the bard, changing the adventure and making the social aspect of the world more important. Or you can see if there's a way to have the player enjoy being a more martial character.

I think a paladin might be nice. It could be hard for him to accomodate to not having many skills, but his natural Charisma score should make up for a lot of that.

The Samurai from Oriental Adventures is an old 3e type, but one that does the image of the "noble warrior" quite well. It's worth at least a looksee.

He could give Sorcerer a try. Again, charismatic, and still has an element of complexity (spells vs. skills). Because they tend to be from draconic lines, figuring one as some sort of noble child is good, and clearing out a dungeon is a good way to train a sorcerer. Plus, your party could probably use it.

JesterPoet

First Post
True. If his charisma is decent, his diplomacy rolls and such should still be decent. Are paladins decent characters overall? Of course Bard and Paladin are the two classes I have no experience playing, so I don't know much about them when recommending them.

diaglo

Adventurer
they are both former PrCs that they tried to force into core classes. both have problems.
edit: paladins suffer from alignment issues.
and bards are jack of all trades, master of none.

Odhanan

Adventurer
Paladin.

You're facing great evils in the Banewarrens. That's the dream set-up for a Paladin, IMO. The bard would do too. Avoid wilderness based characters.

He apparently needs to learn that there can be more to a bard's schtick than just inspiring courage. Perhaps he should take up archery, or take a hard look at spell selection -- spells like grease come in handy in combat, for example.

The bard in our Banewarrens party had lots of ways to contribute.

That said, if you insist on changing classes, a focused arcane caster (sorcerer), paladin, or rogue would all be useful.

Sleepy Voiced

First Post
I have to agree that a bard can play a significant role in the Banewarrens (especially when dealing with various factions- figuring out their agendas, and getting them on your side).
However, it sounds like what you are describing is a good old fashioned paladin from the PHB.
Charismatic leader? Check. Capable in melee? Check. A variety of special abilities? Check. Noble aspirations? Why not?

Well, I guess I am just echoing other posters, but I did want to recommend, if available to you, the marshall class from the Miniature's Handbook.
The marshall is also a good leader type, capable warrior, potentially noble AND has the added bonus of not carrying around all the paladin role-playing baggage.
The marshall even has a cool special ability-auras-that are somewhat similar to bardic music that can be used to buff his party and affect combat as a function of his ability to lead.

I recommend the marshall, I think of the class as a non-paladin, paladin. But if you prefer to stick with the core, go for a paladin.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Consider multiclassing the Bard with a warrior class. In a sense, it would be the PC's door into the upper classes, via knighthood.

Many nobles were interested in the fine arts, music, and various traditional and untraditional methods of diplomacy, and used them as a way to influence the ladies at Court, and through them, their husbands, brothers and fathers.

A recent PC concept of mine was a Ftr/Bard named Sir Simon. Coat of Arms: A round shield, boldly quartered by sable (black) with a white circle in the center. One quarter was argent (yellow), one quarter azure (blue), one quarter crimson (red) and one quarter vert (green). He was a competent warrior, but would occasionally play a magical game of "Simon Says" with his opponents, much to his allies delight.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads