• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help! Encounter building resources.

whearp

First Post
Does anyone here know of a way of making encounter layouts such as in published adventures? The 4e rules make it simple and fun to build challenging and fun encounters, and the online tools are awesome for finding or building the perfect monsters. However, there is no convenient integration of these tools to make encounters that are easy for me to use at the table. At least not that I have seen.

The two-page encounter format has been the standard for years now, but there is no official way of generating these awesomely convenient layouts for homebrew adventures. What's up with that? Seems like it should be a feature in the Compendium or adventure tools. Anyway, I'm rambling.

What I want is resources on making my own encounter layouts so that I don't have to page around in books and single printouts of monsters. I'm figuring there must be some software, apps, or templates out there to accomplish this.

Any information is appreciated!

Trit One-Ear

Explorer
I mostly use Masterplan to get all my information in one place. I'm still leaning anything besides the basics with it, but you can upload monsters, maps, traps etc fairly easily (especially from the DDI monster builder). I also love the Encyclopedia function when building a campaign world. It makes it much easier to keep all your ideas and details straight.

While this isn't specifically a format that they use in published adventures, I think with a little practice you can make fairly detailed and helpful encounter layout.

Trit

whearp

First Post
Wow! That's a really powerful piece of software! It would be really great if it had a better option for laying out and printing encounters. I'm definitely going to use this, though.

Trit One-Ear

Explorer
Glad you're finding it helpful. I can't remember who first showed it to me but it's really changed the way I manage my encounters. I agree I wish it were formatted slightly differently, but since I play most of my games online for the moment, not being able to print out info has never been a huge drawback for me.

Trit

Quickleaf

Legend
Wow! That's a really powerful piece of software! It would be really great if it had a better option for laying out and printing encounters. I'm definitely going to use this, though.

You could do what I do: Make a MS Word template in landscape two-column format, then paste everything you need for the encounter into that. Replicates the Dungeon Delve format pretty well.

Remove ads