• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help finding a slave galley map?

Hi all

Currently DMing, and right now I've got an NPC thats been captured and sold into slavery. So, I'm planning on trying to get the PCs to try and bust him out, btu I'm having enormous dificulty finding a map of a ship thats even close to the one I envisage.

Basically, I'm looking for quite a large ship, with a large hold where tghe slaves are kept and which is powered by (slave operated) banks of oars.

Does anyone know of something that fits the bill?

(ideally, free, but I'd be willing to pay a little something to get the right map)

Bad Paper

First Post
DaveTheMagicWeasel said:
Currently DMing, and right now I've got an NPC thats been captured and sold into slavery. So, I'm planning on trying to get the PCs to try and bust him out, btu I'm having enormous dificulty finding a map of a ship thats even close to the one I envisage.
There's a pretty good one on this page and there's always Wikipedia.
DaveTheMagicWeasel said:
Basically, I'm looking for quite a large ship, with a large hold where tghe slaves are kept and which is powered by (slave operated) banks of oars.
I can't think of any typical arrangement where slaves rowed. On a standard Mediterranean trireme, the rowers were seasoned professionals. Unskilled and potentially rebellious slaves would never be entrusted with rowing. Maybe in cartoons, or something, but in RL, no.

Bad Paper said:
I can't think of any typical arrangement where slaves rowed. On a standard Mediterranean trireme, the rowers were seasoned professionals. Unskilled and potentially rebellious slaves would never be entrusted with rowing. Maybe in cartoons, or something, but in RL, no.

Good point.

Okay, slaves in the hold below, orcs on the oars.

Thanks all.

Remove ads