• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help finding alternate ways to roll stats

Sunglar

Explorer
Hello all:

I hope someone can lend me a hand. I read, somewhere in these boards, various alternate methods to roll up character attributes. Now I can’t seem to find them. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you!

Last edited:

nHammer

First Post
This is what I do in my game.

Ability Scores: To create ability scores roll 1D10 then add the result of the roll to 70. The total result is your ability points that you may distribute on a one- for- one basis among your six abilities.

Michael Morris

First Post
Well, Here are some...

2nd edition had far more ways than 3e gives... Here are those...

Method I
Roll 3d6 for STR, then 3d6 for DEX, then CON, INT, WIS and CHR in that order. This method generates stats with the average in the 9-12 range. Since stats cannot be switched it can tend to lock characters down. It was the default method for AD&D 2e

Method II
Roll 3d6 twice, noting the total of each roll. Use whichever total you prefer for character's STR. Repeat for DEX, CON, etc. This method produces slightly higher stats and crops the lower possible rolls.

Method III
Roll 3d6 six times and arrange the scores as you desire.

Method IV
Roll 3d6 twelve times and use any six scores for you stats.

Method V
Roll 4d6, discard the lowest die, then note the total. Once six scores are generated assign them to the ability scores you wish. This is the default for 3e.

Method VI
Each abilty score starts at 8. Then roll 7d6. These dice can be added to your character's ability as you wish. You may put as many dice as you want on a score, but you cannot exceed 18. All the points from a die must go to the same score. If you cannot make an 18 by an exact count on the dice, you cannot have an 18 score.

Player's Option: Skills & Powers added these methods.

Method VII
Each player has 75 points to divide among the six ability scores. No score can exceed 18 or be less than 3.

Method VIII
The player has 24d6 to divide among their scores. Each score must have at least 3d6 and cannot have more than 6d6 devoted to it. After assigning the dice, roll them and record the scores.

There were two more in S&P, but both were quite corny in nature.

If none of those appeal, here are a three more.

Method IX The Unearthed Arcana Superman method.

Arrange your stats in order of importance - for a fighter you could go STR, CON, DEX, WIS, INT, CHR. Next roll 9d6 for the first stat and only keep the the highest three dice. Then roll 8d6 for the second stat, 7d6 for the third, 6d6 for the fourth, 5d6 for the fifth and 4d6 for the last. As it's name implies, this method generates POWERFUL characters.

Method X Feature Stat method.
Your given an 18 stat to assign. Generate the next 4 stats by rolling 3d6, and generate the last stat by rolling 3d4

Method XI Floating Die method
Roll 3d6 six times and then roll 1d6 and add its amount to any of the other totals so long as you do not raise the total to above 18.

SylverFlame

First Post
If you want a really quick and easy method, here's what my 2e group tried.

Roll 1d20 for all stats. If you roll 19, it's a 17; if you roll 20, it's an 18. Everything else stands as rolled.

The thing is that you can end up with 1's (the ever great fighter *fart noise with hand in armpit* :D ), but 17's and 18's can get pretty common (one char ended up with two 17's and an 18). The real bonus is that you do average slightly higher stats, and we were playing a "heroic" campaign so...

Needless to say I haven't used this method in years.

In our group, we do...

1) 4D6, arrange as desired, reroll if a wash.

1b) 32D6, drop the lowest 6, group into 3's, arrange as desired, reroll if a wash. (Usually only me doing this one:) )

2) D20 down the line, reroll if a wash.

Roll both ways, take the one you like. The D20 makes some extremes. I think thats why our group likes it so much. :rolleyes:

ichabod

Legned
Re: Well, Here are some...

Michael_Morris said:

Method IX The Unearthed Arcana Superman method.

Arrange your stats in order of importance - for a fighter you could go STR, CON, DEX, WIS, INT, CHR. Next roll 9d6 for the first stat and only keep the the highest three dice. Then roll 8d6 for the second stat, 7d6 for the third, 6d6 for the fourth, 5d6 for the fifth and 4d6 for the last. As it's name implies, this method generates POWERFUL characters.

I rolled up a character for an epic campaign using these rules. I got 18, 18, 16,14, 14, 12. Average of 15 1/3, total bonus 16, not bad.

For my current campaign, we rolled up characters as a group. Everyone rolled 4d6 keep 3. Then we based the reroll conditions on whover rolled best. Your highest ability had to be within two of the best highest highest ability. Your total bonus had to be within 6 of the best total bonus. It resulted in a higher power campaign, so I upped the default array for NPCs by one for each ability.

SylverFlame

First Post
Another good method is the "Deal of the Devil." A DM I played with just this christmas uses it.

Roll seven stats in the way you normally roll. Next, the DM rolls seven stats alongside yours. If a stat rolled alongside is higher, then that is a "win". After all stats are checked, if the Player has four or more wins, they take the stats; if the DM is the higher, then the stats are scrapped. Confusing explanation so here's an example.

Player/DM
11/10
13/16
18/9
12/17
15/12
14/12
9 /5

Since the player has five wins, (11/10; 18/9; 15/12; 14/12; 9/5) the stats stand and the two DM wins go to the player. This means the player has stats 11, 16, 18, 17, 14, 14, 9 (and they'll probably drop the nine). Fun way to do it. (Oh yeah, ties are DM wins.)

CrusadeDave

First Post
Crazy Way to roll Stats.

I've done this method once or twice. I find it a) yields at least 1 18, b) limits min maxers to having really low secondary stats, and c)really eccentric rolls for characters.

First, and most importantly, choose your starting class. This cannot change. :)

Take your standard gaming die, a d20, d12, d10, d8, d6, and a d4 and roll them all once.

Place each of the die results into 1 of the 6 stats, per the players choice. Dice set to these stats, cannot change.

Roll the d20, d12, d10, d8, d6, and d4 a second time, and add 1 die to each stat following these three rules.

1. No stat can be higher than 18. Sums of Dice over 18 are set to 18.

2. No stat can be lower than 8.

3. If it is impossible to make all stats at least 8's, start from scratch.

If I'm building a party with this method, I keep track of the point build of every character, and the lowest character in the bunch has his highest stat (and only the highest stat) raised until his point value is no longer the lowest. This may mean that the weakest character has a highest stat over 18. I permit that in this case only.

And the highest point build character has his stats lowered, monopoly building style, until no longer the highest point build (Always take one point off the highest stat, then either another point of that stat, or switch to the new highest stat).

Let's say someone wants to play a Wizard. After Round 1, The Wizard sets his rolls to Int: 11, Dex 7, Con 7, Wis 6, Cha 6, Str 1. Round two, the rolls are as follows: 17,12,3,3,3,1. Now the player has a corundrum. If they want Starting Intelligence to be 18, they have to burn at least 5 points for stats, and doom themselves to multiple stats with negative modifiers. Plus, the only two rolls allowed for Str, are the 17 and the 12. So you might as well, not waste the 17, so the final stats might be:Str: 18, Dex:8, Con:10, Int: 18, Wis:9 , Cha:9.

Or the player could not waste as many points and do: Str: 18, Dex:8, Con:10, Int: 14, Wis:18, Cha:9. Not exactly prototypical for a Wizard.

Following the rules for equalizing out the party value points usually means the "best character" doesn't have an 18 in their prime stat, and the "worst character" has at least 1 18, and perhaps something higher.

Last edited:

Al

First Post
Go Organic!

The method which I use for my significant NPCs and require my PCs to use is the so-called Organic Method. It is 'standard', but often overlooked. Essentially, you roll 4d6 drop lowest IN ORDER. Afterwards, you get one reroll and one swap.

There are many advantages.

Firstly, it encourages players to try different character archetypes. Of course, there is some flexibility, but if you have three low scores in Str, Dex and Con; you are unlikely to go for another fighter. Too often, players play the same (or similar) characters over and over again.

Secondly, it produces more authentic characters. The fighter doesn't always dump Charisma, the cleric doesn't always dump Dexterity and the sorceror doesn't always dump Strength. It is invaluable in getting away from the tired old fit seen for every character class.

Thirdly, it produces good characters :) . I play a tough campaign, and the organic method does, by allowing a reroll, mean that you can typically avoid basement-level stats (to that end, I am also remarkably generous on total rerolls- anything below a +5 overall modifier usually qualifies)

Hashmalum

Explorer
If you want a really quick and easy method, here's what my 2e group tried.

Roll 1d20 for all stats. If you roll 19, it's a 17; if you roll 20, it's an 18. Everything else stands as rolled.
So what do you do if you roll a 1 for your half-orc's Intelligence score, ending up with an Intelligence of -1 (!!!) after racial modifiers? Talk about an intellect rivaled by gardening tools!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads