• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help from Game Masters

If this is the wrong forum please let me know.

I've recently lost a GM and have a limited availability due to crazy scheduling with work.

Last year I posted a "Gamer looking for group" notice in the local game store. I didn't get any responses at all. I posted one online for some VT gaming. I got one response but it wasn't really the situation that I was hoping for but had some nice communication with the group that was seeking a player.

With D&D Next coming out, I was thinking that perhaps some new groups would be forming or starting new groups or maybe just seeking a new player or two. So I might try and post another notice. I'd rather not post it again and have zero response.

I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on what you'd look for in a notice to make you want to take a chance on a new player? How much should I include or not include about my past experience? I'm very flexible as to what kind of group I play for, and I'm not a rules lawyer, and accept DM's interpretations on pretty much everything as long as it's fair, and don't mind house rules.

Ideally, I'd like to start with a group from the beginning for an involved campaign, and grow with the group and our characters. I'm open to playing other games besides D&D Next, but just with the newness of the game, I thought it might be my best chance to find a new group.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

I apologize if this is the wrong thread. It wasn't a notice itself so I didn't post it in the thread for gamers seeking gamers. I just want help on how to construct my notice.

Rechan

Adventurer
First of all, one place you might want to try is Meetup.com. It's a website for people to organize all sorts of activity or interest-based groups in your area. So check it and see if there's any gaming groups in your region.

As for what with new players? I recommend you read this as a way of trying to get people involved/agree to a game.

Thanks a ton for the reply. I have been using Meetup.com. In my area most of the groups on the games I want to play are full. I eventually stopped checking those. I'll definitely get back on that.

The article was cool, and I agree with a lot of the things it said. I get starting out with a three game structure, but hopefully it would lead to something longer, and more involved if the group works.

It would help if I was a DM, because there seems to be more players always out there, but not enough DM's. I've tried being a DM but it's not for me. I just really love being a player.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads