• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help! I need a character idea, STAT! Also, a minor rant on being a tad burned out.

Craer

First Post
So, after my Warlock decided that, in the end, it makes sense to join the amazingly powerful wizard campaign villain as an officer in his army, I'm left without a character to play. I'll be leaving for college in a few weeks, but I've still been offered the chance to play something new for the short time I'll be around.

And so I turn to my old, familiar EN World friends for help.

To be honest, I'm a little burned out on d20. It might be me, it might be the DMs I play with - I don't know. It just seems that, to a point, D&D has become a "let's compare numbers" game. I played in a Mage: The Ascension game the other day, and had a blast with that, so I know I'm not out on RPGs in general. I'm sure I'll figure it out in increasingly tangential posts.

The point is that I need a new character, and I'm all burnt out on ideas. The party needs a spell caster, and wizard is covered. I'm allowed to make a 9th level character. Core books and the "Complete X" series are the only ones allowed (although I'd like to stick to Complete Arcane and Complete Warrior, as they're the only ones I own). Also allowed is Masters of the Wild, since the game is a blend of 3.0/3.5. No templates, 32 point-buy, and due to the area the party is in, the character must be an elf (or sub race thereof, but no drow). The party already has many tanks and a rogue-type (a multiclassed bard/rogue/spellsinger-something-or-other).

I'm just looking for something new and interesting. I've never played a druid before, but the character doesn't even have to be a druid. Can any of you help me out? We're playing tonight at 7:30pm EST, so I've only got a few hours.

The DM nixed my Changeling (Eberron) Barbarian 4/Warshaper 5 idea. Mrynx the Living Weapon would have been awesome.

Last edited:

Craer

First Post
No. No templates.

Please, can't someone help me? Or at least tell me their opinion on burn-out in general.

Tinner

First Post
Warmage/Arcane Archer?
Druid/Oozemaster might be fun.

When I get burned out, I try to make oddball PC's. The type of PC that is really just going to throw things for a loop.

Maybe a Half-Elf Summoner/Alienist?

TheGM

First Post
Craer said:
No. No templates.

Please, can't someone help me? Or at least tell me their opinion on burn-out in general.

On burn-out in general (the numbers game version of burnout):
D20 lends itself to Uber-Buffed characters with no real background or personality that just run around killing things. Sorry, it does. As do several other game systems.

But not all D&D games are run as numbers games. Get with the right group and it won't feel like it. It could just be the groups you're running with.

Rules-light games do wonders for this problem. Particularly ones that aren't focused on the "skill a day" system, and assume all characters know a little of everything. Then you have to develop the personality more because there's less tweaking to do.

So go back to the game you had fun in. Play that for a while. D&D isn't going anywhere, when you're up to it or hear about a cool campaign going on, you can dive in.

schporto

First Post
Spell Thief might be fun.
I'm playing a spellthief right now. Have him focus on the spell part more and its a pretty enjoyable class. Nothing like taking away a bad guys spell.
-cpd

Ectoplasmoid

First Post
Try a Psion(Egoist)9

You've got goot healing(Empathic Transfer/Body Adjustment), Buffing/Fighting(Metamorphosis) and blasting (Energy Ball/Crystal Shard) capability, and youre a primary manifester.

Remove ads