• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help! I need a creature!

Lucias

First Post
Hey folks,

I'm in desperate need of a creature that meets the following criteria:

1) Can damage ability scores, preferably their choice
2) Is not undead
3) Is as low CR as possible.
4) Is from a WOTC book.

Last edited:

Well, there you go. That sounds like some monstrous spiders and scorpions to me. They've got all kinds of ability damage they can do; it's mostly Strength, Con, and Dex, though.

Diseases also work, so you could have a particularly dirty animal that inflicts, for instance, Mindfire (for Int damage) or Cackle Fever (Wis damage) on a successful attack.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
A Wiz3 with Touch of Idiocy, Ray of Enfeeblement, and Touch of Fatigue can inflict penalties on Str, Dex, Int, Wis, and Cha. Temporary, and not ability damage, but it's only CR3...

-Hyp.

Voadam

Legend
Shin Okada said:
Stirge ... CR 1/2
Dire Weasel ... CR 2

Both from MM.

I can top that for low CR ;)

Viper, snake, Tiny, CR 1/3
Monstrous centipede, Tiny CR 1/8
Monstrous scorpion, Tiny CR 1/4
Monstrous spider, tiny

All in MM/SRD

Each has poison that does ability damage. And progressively larger versions for higher CRs.

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Mindshredder larvae from MM3 can damage wisdom either as part of a melee attack, or as a touch attack (doing no damage).
There's also the Meenlocks (also MM3) that have a mental attack that can drain wisdom.

I used both of those in a low-level aberration heavy campaign. My players spent each day with an average of 5 wisdom =P

Remove ads