• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help! I need Shackled City advice!

TheBadElf

First Post
My group's current campaign is wrapping up within the next few sessions, and we'll be starting the Shackled City campaign next. I'd appreciate spoiler-free advice from those of you who've played through it as to whether or not a Druid (planned emphasis on summoning and Wildshape) would be a viable character. The DM is a bit concerned that the urban / dungeon nature of the campaign would be a handicap, but I'm a firm believer in the versatility of the Druid. Any suggestions / advice?

If the Druid isn't gonna work out my next choice would be Thump-Thump the Half-Orc Barbarian. He's equally inappropriate anywhere...

Zaister

Explorer
A Druid is definitely not the best choice of character for this campaign, most of the time wilderness oriented abilities will be of limited use. Maybe you can convince your DM to use the Urban Druid class from Dragon #317, just being reprinted in Paizo's "Dragon Compendium, Vol. 1". That one might be more suitable.

Jack of Shadows

First Post
Hmmm,

I think you'll be fine. SC is not a wilderness focused campaign but there are certainly a number of oportunities for you to shine. Looking into the Urban Druid option is certainly a good idea to provide a more rational reason for your character to be a member of the party. With your intention of focusing on Summoning and Wildshape you should be fine.

Jack

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
The idea that druids are only good for wilderness encounters mystifies me. Sure, Entangle is only good in foliage. But most of the druid's spell list isn't Entangle. They've got elemental damage spells, utility spells, some of the best buff spells, summoning, and healing, all of which are useful in an urban environment. Even spells like Speak With Animals are good there. "Hey, dog, did you see who went in there? Hey rat, is there way through these tunnels?" And if you focus on wild shape you can be a combat monster as well.

Druids kick butt, no matter where they are. They're no more crippled in an urban environment than rangers or barbarians are.

Frozen DM

Explorer
I don't see a major problem with using a druid in the campaign. In fact I think the versatility offered by a druid focused on wildshaping and summoning will be quite useful in the campaign. And while the focus of the campaign is mostly on urban and dungeon environments, there are a few times where the party will greatly benefit from a wilderness-based character. I really feelthat the Shackled City adventure path has done a great job of making every character-type useful at some point in the campaign.

Yair

Community Supporter
Mechanically, I see no problem as I'm sure the druid would be able to contribute even in urban and dungeon adventures. You will indeed get very little wilderness time, and may need to explain what a druid is doing in the city and what's his interest in joining the adventure.
There are even ready opporunities to make nature-oriented allies during the path, should you DM choose to give you NPC support.

Note that I haven't run the whole thing, I'm just now starting to run it, but I've read it.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
TheBadElf said:
My group's current campaign is wrapping up within the next few sessions, and we'll be starting the Shackled City campaign next. I'd appreciate spoiler-free advice from those of you who've played through it as to whether or not a Druid (planned emphasis on summoning and Wildshape) would be a viable character. The DM is a bit concerned that the urban / dungeon nature of the campaign would be a handicap, but I'm a firm believer in the versatility of the Druid. Any suggestions / advice?

If the Druid isn't gonna work out my next choice would be Thump-Thump the Half-Orc Barbarian. He's equally inappropriate anywhere...

Since your going on the summoning and wild-shape side of the druid I would say that you'll do ok. My group as we're playing it don't have a druid so I don't know how well or poorly you'll fair.
My recommendation: Give it a try and see where it takes you.

Whimsical

Explorer
My urban durid has a rolling cauldrun (small animated object) for an "animal companion". That's just too cool! After all, she's the caretaker and voice of the spirit of the city of Cauldrun. Very thematically appropriate.

But if you are playing a regular druid, maxxing out your Diplomacy, which is a class skill for druids, is my suggestion.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads