• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help! I'm running a solo game!

d'Anconia

Explorer
Hey guys,
Well, I've finally gotten my wife to agree to game with me. For convenience sake, we've decided run a solo game with me as the DM. This presents quite a number of problems :) First, although I've played for many years, I've rarely been behind the screen. Second, this is my wife's first game, and I want it to be memorable. And Third, it's a solo game, presenting many other kinds of difficulties.

Here is the general idea I have in my head. Inspired by a post in the plots and places section, I'm going to be using Redhurst Academy of Magic (she wants to play a wizard) as kind of a base of operations. I also have read drnuncheon's Freeport story hour, so I figured I'd combine the two, and have Redhurst on an extended stay in Freeport, with my wife's pc having to spend several afternoons and weekends a week working for the Freeport Guard, with her partner (whom I'll be running as kind of a DMs PC).This sets up perfectly to move into the freeport trilogy.

BUT

I know drnuncheon started his PCs out at 3rd level, because there were only two of them. While this might work, I really want to start her out at 1st level, being this is her first game and all. 2nd level at the most.

So, I guess I really have several questions. First, I know there have been tons of threads discussing each of my three major concerns, but lacking the search function I can't track them down. Could some kind souls link me to threads that have discussed these issues in the past:
1) advise for a new DM
2) advise for teaching a newbie to play
3) advise on 1 on 1 gaming

Also, what should I do to prepare for Death in Freeport. Should I modify the adventure to be suitable for smaller parties? If so, how would you do it? Should I run some preliminary adventures to gain enough experience to start DiF at 3rd level? If so, does anyone have any ideas for low level adventures that would be suitable for 1 or 2 pcs? Also, if any one has any other advise about this, your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the help,
d'Anconia

d'Anconia

Explorer
Thanks for the reply!

Here's another question. How feasible would it be to have the player run 2 characters? It would help greatly to diversify the party's skills, but i think that this might be a bit much, considering it's her first game and all. What do you think?

Larcen

Explorer
d'Anconia said:
Thanks for the reply!

Here's another question. How feasible would it be to have the player run 2 characters? It would help greatly to diversify the party's skills, but i think that this might be a bit much, considering it's her first game and all. What do you think?

Since she is playing a wizard, I think there should be at least one or two NPCs in the party. If only one, make him/her a cleric, with strong combat skills. If two, make the second one a fighter. Use the NPC to guide her along in-game (again, a wise cleric is perfect) from time to time if necessary, but don't make all the decisions for her.

Good luck and have fun! (I wish my wife would play :( )

Silver Moon

Adventurer
You need to toss in a good selection of NPC's to help the story along, but let your solo play focus on the main PC. I've now played out over 300 hours of a solo game with my wife, and have started another solo campaign with my 10-year old daughter. I highly recommend this to anyone.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads