• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help making a Level 1 Solo Brute

Sukairaa

First Post
This morning, me and my friends got together to try out the new fourth edition, while everyone was excited to try it out (but the wizard player), it took us almost two hours to get everyone character ready, but I think everyone was happy with there character. SO we played for 4 hours so far, my players went into 4 encounters and now fighting there mini-boss (We had to end it as our Warlord had to leave) but I think I left enough dramatic entry of the creature to leave the players excited to see what going to come out of this purple smoke. Judging by the players current statues and attitude, I believe they will take a 6-hour break before fighting the big boss of the dungeon (The rogue is the one that wishes to do so the most, and the fighter with only 2 surges left seem to be agreeing). So this gave me a few days to set up a better boss (originally, I was going to put them up against a few human cultist , but now I want something more evil, this gave me tons of plot ideas which I will grow on). But the thing is, as I look at the solo monster I made, I don't know if they will be able to take it, the players show great combat tactics and are able to dish out around, let say 50 damage per round, maybe more. I'm just worried that the luck of the dice might screw them over, so I like if you guys can help me look over this thing, this is my first design monster for 4e so yeah, it might look like crap

(Boarstorm improved version of my version, I added a bit of add-ons)

Skull Daemon Level 1 Brute (Solo)
Medium Undead XP 500
Initiative + 2 Sense Perception +2;darkvision
HP 120; Bloodied 60 (see also, skull revenge)
AC 15, Fort 16, Reflex 15, Will 13
Saving Throws +5
Speed 6
Action Points 2
-----------------------------------------
Claw (standard; at-will)
+4 vs. AC; 1d8 + 6
Daemon's Joy (standard; at-will)
The daemon's attack with both claws
Close Burst 3; Skull Breath (standard; encounter) * Necrotic
+2 vs. Reflex; 2d8 + 6
Skull Revenge (free, when first bloodied; encounter) * Necotic
The daemon's breath weapon recharges, and the daemon uses it immediately
Alignment Chaotic Evil Languages -
Str 16 (+3) Dex 14 (+2) Wis 14 (+2)
Con 14 (+2) Int 10 (+0) Cha 10 (+0)

Here the party:
Level 1 Eladrin Fighter
Level 1 Dwaf Rogue
Level 1 Elf Wizard
Level 1 Dragonborn Warlord

Last edited:

Sukairaa

First Post
The DMG suggest it to be like that, Brutes have high damage and hp but low hit chance and AC, most of my players only have a average 25 hp, so the average damage of the Claw is 9, and the Breath is 12 (Max 25, which can drop everyone but the Fighter and the Dwarf I think...) meaning when the Daemon hits, it's going to hurt (and I seen my luck, those players are screwed XD)

EDIT: Thanks for the tip btw, I'll think about it

Boarstorm

First Post
Hmm. I might do things a little bit differently.

Using the guidelines on page 184-185 of the DMG, I get...

Actually, it's not my intent, but rereading this bit it can seem somewhat condescending, so I leave it to you if you want to read it or not. As I was working out how I would create this particular beastie, I just typed out what I was doing. No harm or insult is intended, just my musings.

[sblock=Process]Well, let's start from the beginning. Ability scores look about right, so let's keep those.

Hit Points... Brutes gain (Level+1)*10 hps plus their con score, but solos use different rules, gaining (Level+1)*8 hps plus con score, multiplied by 4. Con of 14 puts us at (1+1)*8=16+14(con)=30, multiplied by 4 for 120 hps, bloodied value of 60.

Defenses... ok, based on level, defenses should average about 13, with minor pluses and minuses for any attributes that stick out. Strength is a cut above, so we'll boost that one by one point and get AC: 13, Fort: 14, Ref: 13, Will: 13. Now, since he's a solo, let's boost his AC, Fort and Ref by 2 each.

I'll keep the same powers. As a brute his physical attacks should probably be at about +4, while his breath weapon should be about +2. For damage, I'm going to say the high damage expression for his at-wills, and the medium limited damage expression for his breath weapon. That's about 10 points with the at-will, and about 14 points with his breath weapon. I like 1d8+6 for his at-will, and 2d8+6 for his breath weapon. The breath weapon might be a little heavy, but close enough for government work.

Adding it up, we've got...
[/sblock]

Skull Daemon Level 1 Brute (Solo)
Medium Undead XP 500
Initiative + 2 Sense Perception +2;darkvision
HP 120; Bloodied 60 (see also, skull revenge)
AC 15, Fort 16, Reflex 15, Will 13
Saving Throws +5
Speed 6
Action Points 2
Claw (standard; at-will)
+4 vs. AC; 1d8 + 6
Close Burst 3; Skull Breath (standard; encounter) * Necrotic
+2 vs. Reflex; 2d8 + 6
Skull Revenge (free, when first bloodied; encounter) * Necotic
The daemon's breath weapon recharges, and the daemon uses it immediately
Alignment Chaotic Evil Languages -
Str 16 (+3) Dex 14 (+2) Wis 14 (+2)
Con 14 (+2) Int 10 (+0) Cha 10 (+0)

The MAJOR difference between the two is obviously the hit points. 400+ hit points on a first level opponent is going to get really really boring. Now, if the players have all their daily's available when they get to this guy, they may chew through him in a few rounds, but I'm guessing they won't.

Other than that, your creation is quite close to mine.

Terwox

First Post
I just threw a level 3 solo brute at a party of 1st levels, it was close but they took him down. Had some tactical mis-steps as well.

He also had 200 hps. I'm not sure where the 412 number is coming from... let me see the guidelines. Even with a con of 20, it would have... ((8*(1+1))+20)*4, or 144 hps. If you're going the brute route, you could probably pop this up 20%, which would be an extra 30 hps or so, so 175.

And those attack numbers are one too low.

Might be alright because you're one player down...

Sukairaa

First Post
Just read the HP concept again, made a mistake your right Terwox, thanks, going to read Boarstorm idea in a second

prefer your post Boarstorm, the attacks seem less dangerous but more damaging, also added that it attacks twice with it's claws

Last edited:

Remove ads