• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me a little with a character backstory...

Visigani

Banned
Banned
Consider deities that use the Whip. It may cost an exotic weapon feat to make use of it... but it's a nonlethal weapon that can have many many applications. Remember, although the base weapon does relatively light damage... it still gives you fifteen feet of reach... now if only you could find a prestige class that would allow you to charge your whip with a touch spell... overwhelm is a tasty tasty spell that does exactly as much nonlethal damage as the creature has hiutpoints... and then you tap it with the whip. and down it goes. =)

Last edited:

Vespucci

First Post
Quick note: if you intend to play an Exalted character, you aren't going to get away with "the ends justified the means". Bruce Wayne is a poor role model - you need to be more like Billy Batson.

Dandu

First Post
Your party might have to work around you instead of working with you, if they're the sneaky or morally dubious sort. Or even if they're very pragmatic or somewhat ruthless good guys.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Quick note: if you intend to play an Exalted character, you aren't going to get away with "the ends justified the means". Bruce Wayne is a poor role model - you need to be more like Billy Batson.
Yeah, I'm really trying to fit a square peg in a round hole with this one, and it's not working.

I want the awesomeness that is a feat that grants a +4 DC to spells. I want to play beguiler because it's fun, sneaky, and seems like I can get plenty out of it without doing the direct damage that the Vow of non-violence requires. Now I'm trying to marry the Exalted part with the sneaky part, and trying to justify it mechanically and it's just-not-working.

Sigh.

Vespucci

First Post
Let's try tearing off the class description and working from the mechanics and the vow of non-violence. What you've got is someone who excels in enchantment and illusion, and has the potential to learn a lot of the rogue's skills. This isn't that different from a Bard, and people don't struggle to make Exalted Bards (at least in principle).

My advice is to start simple. Your character abhors the violence of the world and is committed to defending its people using more subtle means. Rather than Bluff, your key skill would be Diplomacy. You're not a preacher, and shouldn't act like one. But reason with people. Persuade them that the Exalted Path, or at least the ways of Good, are superior. (A good way to give this a non-religious flavor is to take the position that you're building heaven in this life, today, rather than promising a pleasant afterlife.)

In terms of spell-casting: You have no qualms about charming aggressors - they retain their own minds, but come around to your way of thinking - though you might as well cross dominate person and dominate monster off your spell list. Similarly, using illusions to prevent evil (at its most hackneyed, disguising the orphanage as a barracks full of heavily armed soldiers) is right and proper. Not only have you saved innocents, you've kept the wicked from further staining their souls.

One final suggestion. You're going to be very short on options for 9th-level spells. It may be worth pleading with the ref to put End to Strife onto your spell list, in place of Power Word, Kill.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Let's try tearing off the class description and working from the mechanics and the vow of non-violence. What you've got is someone who excels in enchantment and illusion, and has the potential to learn a lot of the rogue's skills. This isn't that different from a Bard, and people don't struggle to make Exalted Bards (at least in principle).

My advice is to start simple. Your character abhors the violence of the world and is committed to defending its people using more subtle means. Rather than Bluff, your key skill would be Diplomacy. You're not a preacher, and shouldn't act like one. But reason with people. Persuade them that the Exalted Path, or at least the ways of Good, are superior. (A good way to give this a non-religious flavor is to take the position that you're building heaven in this life, today, rather than promising a pleasant afterlife.)

In terms of spell-casting: You have no qualms about charming aggressors - they retain their own minds, but come around to your way of thinking - though you might as well cross dominate person and dominate monster off your spell list. Similarly, using illusions to prevent evil (at its most hackneyed, disguising the orphanage as a barracks full of heavily armed soldiers) is right and proper. Not only have you saved innocents, you've kept the wicked from further staining their souls.

One final suggestion. You're going to be very short on options for 9th-level spells. It may be worth pleading with the ref to put End to Strife onto your spell list, in place of Power Word, Kill.
Thanks for these suggestions!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads