D&D 5E Help me balance a BBEG, please.

aco175

Legend
I strongly like @NotAYakk idea about the minions sacrificing themselves to heal the BBEG. Even if this makes the fight take longer. This is the big climatic fight. I also like moving the fight to a new location to spice things up.

You could even have him be defeated and the PCs see his essence swirl into a light beam and shoot into the cathedral. Naturally they will follow where they can fight another set of monsters while they witness the BBEGs form taking place in the pentagram or such. The players will know they will need to so something to keep him from reforming- especially when they see one of the minions around the room turn into a puff of dust and a light beam shoots into the BBEG forming him a bit more. If they can quickly defeat the minions in 1-3 rounds, they win and the forming BBEG withers back into cosmic goo, but if they do not, he forms again at half strength. You could also just have him form at half strength regardless.

NotAYakk

Legend
Also, consider making the NPC Mythic.

That means it becomes 2 fights in a row. The first fight is as written.

When reduced to 0 HP, all spells and effects on the creature end, it heals all of its HP, and it gains access to Mythic actions. Those Mythic actions are often legendary ones and are a step up from what they had before.

Another idea is to throw 10 CR on both sides. Like some guards and knights and veterans on the PC side, and some minions on the BBEG side. You can peel off help and/or hindrance from that fight to the BBEG fight, as can the PCs.

Buck_

Explorer
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! Here is version II of the BBEG (Isn't it too powerful for a 9th level party? :oops:) Again, any feedback is welcome!

mala2.jpg

And you people are right. I'll add some small waves of weak CR 1 minions to harass/ distract the party. The idea of high CR NPCs in both sides of the fight is interesting as well. As is the post-fight reforming ritual...

pogre

Legend
Looks good. Depending on your homebrew Paladin, most of these saves are probably going to be at DC 12 or even 11, because of the Paladin's Aura. I would think about giving the villain an extra reaction that would allow it a free maneuver of some sort. That may help spread the party out a bit and make the villain's abilities a lot more dangerous. Just a thought.

Looks like you have set things up for a climactic fight!

I am eager to hear how the fight eventually plays out. Don't hold back, and don't be afraid to kill player characters. Make them work for their victory. ;)

dave2008

Legend
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! Here is version II of the BBEG (Isn't it too powerful for a 9th level party? :oops:) Again, any feedback is welcome!

And you people are right. I'll add some small waves of weak CR 1 minions to harass/ distract the party. The idea of high CR NPCs in both sides of the fight is interesting as well. As is the post-fight reforming ritual...
Nice improvement. It is definitely not too strong and should be a much better battle. Without knowing more about how your players play, I would say go with this.

Buck_

Explorer
So, the boss battle was brutal! The party won by the skin of their teeth (and one of them had to be raised after it), thanks for a bit of luck, and despite their terrible tactics (after 9 levels they still can't fight as a team).

Now I'm having some kind of 'epilogue' where each of the players (9th level) will have to fight some demons... alone. And I would like some help designing those solo encounters!

Xanathar says four Cacklers (CR 1/2) + two Maw Demons (CR 1) + 1 Rutterkin (CR 2) = a hard encounter. The same for three Rutterkins (CR 2). Now the DMG says both fights are deadly, so I would like some help keeping it hard, but fair.

Remove ads