• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

help me balance this feat

ChefOrc

First Post
A player of mine would like to create a feat that allows him to add its dex bonus to weapon damage, in addition to its str bonus, when using weapons allowed with weapon finesse (just like the ability elegant strike form the Champion of Corellon Larethian PrC in Races of the Wild).

I am not sure what kind of requirements are needed for such a feat. My player has proposed the following:
BAB+8, Combat expertise, weapon finesse, weapon focus.

If I compare to the PHBII high level feats, these requirements seem to make this feat available too soon. Adding its dex bonus to damage is a huge increase in damage output for the dex-fighter. What do you all think?

librarius_arcana

First Post
ChefOrc said:
A player of mine would like to create a feat that allows him to add its dex bonus to weapon damage, in addition to its str bonus, when using weapons allowed with weapon finesse (just like the ability elegant strike form the Champion of Corellon Larethian PrC in Races of the Wild).

I am not sure what kind of requirements are needed for such a feat. My player has proposed the following:
BAB+8, Combat expertise, weapon finesse, weapon focus.

If I compare to the PHBII high level feats, these requirements seem to make this feat available too soon. Adding its dex bonus to damage is a huge increase in damage output for the dex-fighter. What do you all think?

Instead of STR damage okay, but on top of? don't think so,

Land Outcast

Explorer
Greater Weapon Specailization, which adds +4 to damage, is available at level 12.

Given: I've considered the Focus tree to be weak in excess... but yet... Make this:

Grace
Prerequisites: Bab 6+, Weapon finesse, Weapon Focus (finnesseable weapon),
Benefit: Add 1/2 your Dex bonus to damage rolls with finnesseable weapons

Delicacy
Prerequisites: Bab 12+, Grace, Weapon Specialization (finnesseable weapon)
Benefit: Add your Dex modifier as bonus damage on damage rolls with a weapon you have Weapon Specialization with. This doesn't stack with the benefits from Grace.

Last edited:

reanjr

First Post
Not exactly what you were looking for, but I personally think that there should be no feat like this. Have a feat (prereq Dex 13, Weapon Finesse) that adds dex to damage INSTEAD OF str.

Nyaricus

First Post
From Shadowfoot's FEAT Extravaganza

IMPROVED FINESSE [Fighter] [General]
You nimbly deal damage with the selected weapon.
Prerequisites: Dexterity 17, BAB +10, Weapon Finesse feat, Proficiency with selected weapon.
Benefit: Select any Weapon Finesse weapon in which you are proficient. With this weapon, you may use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on damage rolls. Against creatures immune to critical hits, you use only your Strength modifier for damage rolls.
Special: You can gain Improved Finesse multiple times; its effects do not stack. Each time, it applies to a different weapon. You cannot apply Greater Finesse to any weapon in which you already enjoy Weapon Charm, Weapon Insight, Weapon Might, or Weapon Zen.

GREATER FINESSE [Fighter] [General]
You wield the selected weapon with both agility and brawn.
Prerequisites: Dexterity 19, Strength 13, BAB +12, Improved Finesse feat with selected weapon, Weapon Finesse feat.
Benefit: Select any weapon with which you enjoy Improved Weapon Finesse. With this weapon, you may add your Dexterity modifier to all attack rolls. If you carry a shield, its armor check penalty applies to your attack rolls.
Special: You can gain Greater Finesse multiple times; its effects do not stack. Each time, it applies to a different weapon. You cannot apply Greater Finesse to any weapon in which you already enjoy Weapon Charm, Weapon Insight, Weapon Might, or Weapon Zen.

ADVANCED FINESSE [Fighter] [General]
Your blows with selected weapon utilize both agility and brawn.
Prerequisites: Dexterity 19, Strength 13, BAB +14, Greater Finesse feat with selected weapon, Improved Finesse feat with selected weapon, Weapon Finesse feat.
Benefit: Select any weapon with which you enjoy Greater Weapon Finesse. With this weapon, you may add your Dexterity modifier to all damage rolls. Against creatures immune to critical hits, you use only your Strength modifier for damage rolls.
Special: You can gain Advanced Finesse multiple times; its effects do not stack. Each time, it applies to a different weapon. You cannot apply Advanced Finesse to any weapon in which you already enjoy Weapon Charm, Weapon Insight, Weapon Might, or Weapon Zen.

That's what I'd do, anyways :)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
NO WAY IN BAATOR would I allow full Dex + Str to damage. Dex is already the best stat in the game. It's used for AC, attack (missile, touch, grapple et al), Reflex save, initiative, and some great skills.

Anyway. Here's what I allow:

Precise Strike [General, Fighter]
You can wound a foe with an expert strike.
Prerequisites: BAB 6+, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus in a Finessable weapon
Benefit: When you inflict a critical hit on a foe using a finesse weapon in which you have Weapon Focus, you inflict an extra +1d6 damage.
Special: You may take this Feat up to 3 times, and its effects stack.

So, three feats would yield an average of +10.5 damage on a crit, within certain limits.

Cheers, -- N

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Iron Heroes, by Malhavoc Press, is an over-the-top, low PC-magic, no-magic-item variant of D&D. Many of the abilities PCs get access to via feats are extremely powerful; via feats you can use either your Dex or Int for attack rolls and at late levels (about 16) you can use your Int + Str for attack and for damage. One of the early combat reflexes feats allows a character to make an AoO when anyone makes any kind of movement in one of his threatened squares, including 5 ft steps and tumbling to avoid AoOs.

The weapon finesse feat chain can allow a character to use dex for damage rolls (around level 8, though varies by class) with all finessable weapons. Additionally, this feat chain grants a few extra dice of sneak attack (each die is one seperate feat, four feats). Finally, the most powerful feat in the chain, which only one class can get before epic levels, allows you to make a single opponent flat-footed for the next attack once per round (in IH this results in AC 10 for most PCs).
Weapon Finesse is a very powerful feat chain. At no point does it allow a character to add both strength and dexterity to damage rolls.

I've found a good yardstick to be that if something is too powerful for Iron Heroes then it's also too powerful for D&D.

That said, if you and your player are bound and determined to let him add both dex and str bonuses to damage rolls then I advise that it not be available until at least level 16.

Ferrix

Explorer
Well, since you can get Int to damage in addition to Str with 3 levels of Swashbuckler, Dexterity to damage in addition to Str with 2 levels of the Champion which is 9th level minimum, I'd say it would have to be a minimum level of 10 or 12 since the player doesn't want to enter the Champion of Corellon PrC.

Say BAB +12, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Greater Weapon Focus, Power Critical and Improved Critical. That requires 8 levels of fighter and up to six feats. That's a lot of focus on a single weapon.

Nyaricus

First Post
Ferrix said:
Well, since you can get Int to damage in addition to Str with 3 levels of Swashbuckler, Dexterity to damage in addition to Str with 2 levels of the Champion which is 9th level minimum, I'd say it would have to be a minimum level of 10 or 12 since the player doesn't want to enter the Champion of Corellon PrC.

Say BAB +12, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Greater Weapon Focus, Power Critical and Improved Critical. That requires 8 levels of fighter and up to six feats. That's a lot of focus on a single weapon.
Well, using the feats I posted above with some more prereqs (I think Weapon Focus should be on there) and mayeb a few more points of BAB, this would be an alright set up.

IOWs, I more or less agree with you :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads