• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me brainstorm for my game tonight

Phebius

First Post
Hey all. Have a session tonight . I've got a general idea of what I need to have revealed to them, but I'm not sure on the best way.

The TLDR of where the campaign is, is that they've just finished killing a necromancer and high priest of Orcus, as well as driving off a reduced-power aspect of him. One of the PCs had made a pact with Asmodeus and subsequently left the group and I'm going to use her as a Big Bad now, which they should become aware of fairly shortly.

Tonight's game is going to be a primarily role-played session in which they deal with Raising the Dragonborn who died last time and they'll be part of a ritual and wandering through the Shadowfell and chatting with some of the gods or their proxies. The following things are there for them to learn:

1. The combination of Asmodeus and Orcus's meddling has ripped open a portal to the far realm, which as far as this campaign is concerned, is a completely unknown quantity for everyone except for Vecna. The old PC is meanwhile going to do a ritual that she thinks will allow Asmodeus to manifest directly on the Prime. (That character won't be in the afterlife while this is going on) Instead, it will summon a weird trigod aspect thing (think Three Faces of Evil from Age of Worms if you're familiar) which will ramgage and get beaten, but the unexpected result is that the gods mashed together for the trigod will be completely cut off from the prime plane until the PCs can fix that.

My initial thought was to have the gods be Asmodeus, Orcus, and Tiamat make up the trigod, but I think I'll have Ioun take the place of Tiamat and thus make Vecna the default god of knowledge that they have to seek out.

The PC who cast the ritual's entire motivation is to destroy a Vecna cult if not Vecna himself, so the PCs may find themselves in the odd position of having to work with Vecna, since he's the only one who knows what the threat is.

The PCs are 9th level but I've been cranking up the cosmic on them, so I just need some ideas of some other stuff that can be going on. I can whip up a combat or skill challenge pretty quickly.

Remove ads