• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me build a swashbuckling rogue!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm going to be playing an Errol Flynn-type swashbuckling rogue in an upcoming Skull & Shackles campaign, possibly with Duelist along the way. But I'm not really wired for 3E/Pathfinder character building -- and I know a lot of people here are.

Help needed and greatly appreciatd

Ace

Adventurer
Try this guy right here, the Swashbuckling Rogue archetype for Pathfinder.

The only "yucks" are that you'll end up in MW Studded or a Chain Shirt unless the GM is generous or lets you cook up some kind of defense bonus without armor ala a monk and that you'll lose trap related abilities

As for the "fighter" element I recommend Free Hand Fighter for its synergies as that class increases AC in light armor and gives all kinds of bonus tricks while wielding one weapon say your rapier

Feats are a bit different, you have several paths depending on how much rogue vs fighter you want.

Dodge/Mobility is of course classic, also very useful improved disarm, trip, lunge, dash and oddly enough the power attack cleave tree as PF cleave is basically similar to the long cuts you see in Swashbuckling movies allowing a person to attack 2 adjacent targets . Also useful are Weapon Focus and Specialization. Lastly Improved Feint isn't bad for a more static approach allowing you to fake out targets and get in a sneak every round.

Race choices are up to you , best for stats and RP are Human which gives and extra feat but Half Elf allows you to mix Fighter/Rogue better and gain preferred class bonuses with both. An interesting choice could be Half Orc Orco Flynn maybe? or just a gallant with a secret does of orc blood

You'll want alternate traits though

Drop Dark Vision for Skilled (you look mostly human and get+1 skill per level)

Drop Orcish Ferocity for Sacred Tattoo (+1 to all saves) specially if you skin it as one tattoo or swashbuckling nature

Drop Weapon Familiarity for City Raised (get Whip and Longsword and KS local bonus)

and lastly Drop Intimidating for Rock Climber (+1 with climb and acrobatics)

Stats, well I don't know how many point buy, I'll assume 20

I'd choose at least a 14 INT, this allows more skill points for fighter levels and access to combat expertise if you wish and is important if you go duelist. Dex should be your main stat,at least 14 add your race bonus there. Beyond that its up to you

Traits are tricky,

The best choices I think are are reactionary (+2 to initiative) and any other one you think is cool, Blade Bravo is quite good for humans

Hope this helps .

Ramaster

Adventurer
I would build him as an elf, though.

+2 DEX and +2 INT are most helpful; the -2 CON doesn't hurt much.

One of the main draws here is the elf's proficiency with the Elven Curve Blade, which is a two handed, 18x2 crit finessable weapon.

Take a STR score of 14, a DEX of 18 and you are set. Level 1 will be a bit annoying (you should probably consider using ranged weapons, probably a longbow since the elf gives you the proficiency for free) but on level two you can take the Finesse Rogue talent and start hacking away with the blade.

Go Rogue 20, with the Scout archetype (it lets you sneak attack on charges at first, then every time you move at least 10 ft). You will be doing A LOT of damage this way.

So... that is the most effective rogue build (from a mechanical standpoint) except for the Knife Master Rogue dualer (can’t beat the double sneak attack with d8s)

If you want more of a swashbuckler feel mechanically, then yes, go Duelist.

With a 20 pointbuy, the stats would look something like this (Racial bonuses for elf taken in consideration).

STR 14 -5
DEX 18 -10
CON 10 -2
INT 15 -3
WIS 10 -0
CHA 10 -0

You can move around the WIS, CHA and CON scores a bit, but I wouldn't touch the other stats to much since that would really affect your most important abilities. The 4th level advancement point should go to INT, then all DEX. If you are NOT going swashbuckler, then drop INT and raise CON a bit more (maybe even get a WIS of 12).

As for traits... well, my two favorites are Reactionary (there is also an elf trait that gives you +2 to initiative) and Rich Parents. Invest the 900 GP on a Masterwork Rapier or Elven Curve Blade, a chainshirt armor and a longbow and you are good to go.

Your first level feat could be Improved Initiative, since you can't take most combat feats without a BAB of at least +1. The clear exception is Weapon Finesse, but Finesse rogue takes care of that on level 2, so I would wait a little bit on this one.

Hope this helps!

Edit: INT was 13.

Last edited:

ggeilman

First Post
If you are doing S&S, you might want to look at the Pirate Archetype. Getting Sealegs will be quite valuable on board ship and Swinging Reposition will allow you to do a lot of the Swashbuckling you want to do at 2nd level. Don't forget your profession sailor skills as well as climb and acrobatics. Two-handed weapons aren't well suited for a ship while a rapier or cutlass is. My wife is doing this build and has figured out how to do the duelist build she wants w/o doing the class and staying straight rogue.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads