• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me build a tank damage dealer

Legildur

First Post
I'm pretty sure it is from Complete Warrior (WotC). Can't remember prerequisites for sure, but I think it was Weapon Focus (exotic weapon) and some ranks in Craft (weaponsmith).

Daermon

First Post
Legildur said:
I'm pretty sure it is from Complete Warrior (WotC). Can't remember prerequisites for sure, but I think it was Weapon Focus (exotic weapon) and some ranks in Craft (weaponsmith).
Yep. 3.5 Complete Warrior.

Pre-reqs are Exotic Weapon Prof (or racial weapon prof, as in the Dwarf and Orc), Weapon Focus in chosen weapon and 3 ranks of Craft (Weaponsmith).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
For my tanks, I like Half-Giants (XPH) with Sword & Board, Improved Shield bashing and 2WF. Because of their Powerful Build ability, they get to use oversized weapons, and oversized spiked shields with certain enchantments can become offhand light weapons that do damage like a bastard sword...and still contribute to your AC!

Plus, as natural psionics, you can take levels in Pyrokinetic without taking levels in any psionic class. The fire-whip, flaming hand, firebolts, and flaming weapon are all cool, as are some of the higher-level abilities.

Last edited:

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
How about a few extra DM-approved modifications:

Human male fighter 2
str16 dex14 con14 int10 wis10 cha10 , HP = 19/19
Feats: WF (Glaive), improved polearm fighting*, combat reflexs, power attack (for cleave?)
Skills: climb+6 jump+5 ride+7 intimidate+5
Equipment: horse, light armour, polearm, bow, sword & shield

*Fighter/general feat, pre-req is polearm proficiency/BAB+1, allows the character to threaten the close 5' with the length of the handle as treated by a quarter-staff while allowing polearm feats (focus, specialization etc) to apply. Choose the use of the weapon at the beginning of turn just like PA.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Choose Great Scimitar (in Sandstorm) as your weapon of choice. Take some levels of Paladin & Fighter, then be a Exotic Weapon Master and take Awesome Blow. Then take Improved Critical for Great Scimitar. Cast Bless Weapon (maybe through wand or scroll). Now, when you roll 15+, your damage against evil creature is really awesome.

Regarding Goliath, while it is a good race, I prefer LA+0 humanoid races if your party wizard is willing to support melee warriors. Enlarge Person (and Mass Enlarge Person) can't be cast on Goliath (monstrous humanoid).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Eh...sorry Krud- missed the line about avoiding Psi- I was doing 2 things at once.

At any rate, if you want to avoid Psi, I'd still go with a race that allows you to use larger weapons, either by virtue of Powerful Build or because the PC is size L.

Still, the build works well even with M creatures.

Consider a Size M creature with Shield Bash & Sword & Board with Medium Light Spiked shield enchanted with the armor enchantment Bashing: 1d4 for Spikes + 1d6 +1 for Bashing = a damage range of 3-11 x2...before any Strength or weapon enchantments have been added in. Not bad for an offhand weapon. Scale it up for a Large creature: that's 1d6 + 1d8+1 x2 (3-15x2) for an offhand weapon that adds to your AC.

For a Medium Heavy Spiked Shield: that would be 1d6 + 1d8+1 x2 (or 3-15 x2). Size L creatures would be 1d8 + 1d10+1 x2 (3-19x2).

Add any weapon enhancement, and you have another +1 for its base Weapon Enhancement, and whatever ability the enhancement offers- Bane...Flaming...Shocking...

(See the Asuras Shield, BoED, p112- Bashing Damage is seperate from the damage from spikes and stacks with it- their math is off, though.)

Remove ads