Help me build a Trickster Cleric

Motorskills

Explorer
I love the idea of a priest ministering to a Thieves' Guild, being able to walk the walk as well as preach scripture.

But I've struggled to build something that has both playfulness and effectiveness.
Part of it is the stats, part of it is not really knowing what the adventuring / skirmishing responsibilities the character should have.

For example, I've played with the Medium Armour Mastery feat, my guy pretends to be a fighter or a "proper" cleric. He can then Stealth around in Half-Plate, while negating the real fighter's Stealth Disadvantage. Good times. But maybe it's not that useful in the scheme of things?

So....what does the collective wisdom suggest?

mellored

Legend
Medium Armor Mastery has a very narrow window of use. Your generally better off with +2 Dex and light armor, or wearing a breast plate (no stealth disadvantage).

It's only if you have 16 dex, don't plan on raising it further, and want stealth, it works. Which may be the case with you.

Clerics can reasonably get away without maxing Wisdom. You don't want to dump it, but many spells like cure wounds, revivify, disguise self, mirror image, polymorph (on an ally), and blink are not significantly hurt by a few points lower.

And generally speaking, clerics can simply cast bless and healing word to be plenty effective in battle.

Kithas

First Post
Medium Armor Mastery has a very narrow window of use. Your generally better off with +2 Dex and light armor, or wearing a breast plate (no stealth disadvantage).

It's only if you have 16 dex, don't plan on raising it further, and want stealth, it works. Which may be the case with you.

Generally given a 16+ dex you want MaM instead of light armor, your max in light is 17 while your max with medium is 18. It is a lot of work for only 1 though, it does put you on the same level as plate :/

mellored

Legend
Generally given a 16+ dex you want MaM instead of light armor, your max in light is 17 while your max with medium is 18. It is a lot of work for only 1 though, it does put you on the same level as plate :/

Given all the other benefits of you can get from a feat, like hitting things more, dodging fireballs, or defensive duelist.
+1 AC is rather mediocre.

You won't gimp your character by taking it though. If you want to take it so you can look like a soldier, sneak, as well as be tougher, feel free.

Motorskills

Explorer
I'm not fixated on the feat, I gave it as an example of playfulness.

Happy to be a bless-bot, but while Tempest and War clerics are all about the damage, and Life clerics are all about cleaning up afterwards....what does a Trickster cleric do?

mellored

Legend
I'm not fixated on the feat, I gave it as an example of playfulness.

Happy to be a bless-bot, but while Tempest and War clerics are all about the damage, and Life clerics are all about cleaning up afterwards....what does a Trickster cleric do?
Setup.

Using your duplication to get enemies into waste their big spell on an illusion.
Charm person and disguise self to get good information and cause confusion among the enemies.
Advantage on stealth to get your allies a surprise rounds.

It's not a direct path. It's a tricky one.

Remove ads