• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me build an AC fighter

Ed Gentry

First Post
Hey guys,

I want some help building a very AC-heavy fighter. Here's the stuff:

-32-point build
-level 3
-Most WotC books allowed
-I want something really flavorful and fun

Question: If you wield two spiked shields as your weapons (TWF), do you get the AC benefit from both? I love the flavor idea of someone fighting with two spiked shields.

Please include equipment I should look for as I go along as well. You can suggest build options up to say level 10, if you'd like but I leave that to you.

Thanks, all!

Shazman

Banned
Banned
Try a dwarf knight/fighter/dwarven defender. You get your shield bonus from knight vs one opponent, plus your heavy armor and defensive stance. I would say that you would not get the AC bonus from both shields when using improved shield bash with two spiked shields. They are both shield bonuses and, therefore, do not stack.

jontherev

First Post
Dwarf. Mithral Fullplate of Nimbleness. Tumble skill. This way you can apply up to a 20 Dex to your AC. If your DM is really cool, ask for a hybrid/alloy of Living Metal from Magic of Faerun with the Mithral for another I think +2 Dex cap. This actually makes sense, as the Living Metal is really a template of sorts, as it has to apply to an actual existing metal anyway. It's not actually a metal by itself.

Ed Gentry

First Post
Thanks Shaz and Jon.

I was wondering about Knight and thought it might be useful. I'll read up on it tonight.

That armor sounds terrific, but I can tell you the DM wouldn't allow it.

Zad

First Post
No you don't get the shield bonus from both. It's a shield bonus and two shield bonuses (like most other named bonuses) won't stack.

There is a problem with your concept, and maybe it matters and maybe it doesn't (only you can say).

AC is hard to raise compared to attack value or damage. Some monsters simply WILL hit you regardless of your AC, and the real question is do they hit you with the second/third/fourth attack. Part of this is by design; if AC rose as fast as damage output/to hit, battles could take forever. So you're fighting an uphill battle. You can have a high AC for your level, but by itself it won't be that great, and there'll still be plenty of ways for you to get hit/damaged. (Touch attacks, magic, etc.)

Also, having a high AC never won anyone a battle - doing damage to the bad guy wins battles. That means that while you might be standing, if you sacrifice everything to up your AC, monsters may just ignore you.

AC often comes from expensive gear and magic items. Given that you're going to be level 3, you really will have a hard time distinguishing yourself here. OTOH if this is just a starting point for a long-term effort then that may not be as big a factor.

Depending on your desires, you might want to look at a psychic warrior. They have a TON of tricks to keep themselves alive and many of the early buffs raise AC. Of course the trade-off is a 3/4 BAB.

Ed Gentry

First Post
Blarg, what book is Elusive Target in?

Zad, you definitely have a point. I may not go with this AC idea but I thought I'd get an idea of what was out there as possibilities.

Thanks both for your input.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Elusive target is okay.

I do have several questions about it. Like, if you have uncanny dodge preventing flanking, can you still use Diverting Defense?

And if you wield a weapon that does not ordinarily allow trip attacks (like, say, a longspear), can you use the trip attack in Cause Overreach?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20070608a

Elusive Target (from Complete Warrior ): The Elusive Target feat enables the use of three tactical maneuvers.

Negate Power Attack: To use this maneuver, you must designate a specific foe to be affected by your Dodge feat. If that foe uses the Power Attack feat against you, the foe gains no bonus on the damage roll but still takes the corresponding penalty on the attack roll.

Diverting Defense: To use this maneuver, you must be flanked and you must designate one of the flanking attackers to be affected by your Dodge feat. The first attack of the round from the designated attacker automatically misses you and may strike the other flanking foe instead; the attacking creature makes an attack roll normally, and its ally is considered flat-footed. If the designated attacker is making a full attack against you, its second and subsequent attacks function normally.

Cause Overreach: To use this maneuver, you must provoke an attack of opportunity from a foe by moving out of a threatened square. If the foe misses you, you can make a free trip attempt against this foe, and the foe does not get a chance to trip you if your attempt fails.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I like the Broadblade short sword from CAdv for AC fighter builds, but it does cut down on damage a bit. Also check out extreme shields from Races of Stone.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Mistwell said:
I do have several questions about it. Like, if you have uncanny dodge preventing flanking, can you still use Diverting Defense?

And if you wield a weapon that does not ordinarily allow trip attacks (like, say, a longspear), can you use the trip attack in Cause Overreach?
I think improved uncanny dodge prevents diverting defense from working. That's why my changeling rogue took Mutable Anatomy instead. :)

Cause overreach has nothing to do with your weapon. If they miss you, you get a trip check. It's so much fun fighting things with reach!
-blarg

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads