D&D 5E Help me build my bard

Hello all,
I’ve put down the role of DM to let my younger brother take a shot at it and to give myself somewhat of a break. I say somewhat because this is his first campaign as a DM and I spend quite a bit of time helping him learn the ropes. I also decided to play something different than I usually play, but not fully out of my comfort zone. I decided to go bard rather than my usual rogue. Party make up is a trifling warlock/assassin (dedicated trapper), a shader kai shadow sorcerer, a human paladin oath of the crown (thematically modeled after link). I am thinking about being a half elf (thematically half drow but not with the special stats) bard. My backstory is that I lived in menzobarranzan as an only child to a noble house and because my features were strongly drow it wasn’t hard to hide that I was only half drow. A rival house found out about our secret and raided my house killing all of the adults and servants then selling the children to slavers. This happened when I was seven. After that I was traded from master to master until eventually a not so nice noble in neverwinter bought me. He had me formally trained as a musician and charged me with the task of not just personally entertaining him, but also to spy on potential enemies. Being half drow I had a natural affinity to magic and eventually discovered that music also has its own secret magic to it. Eventually I successfully earned my freedom by murdering my master. I fled in the direction of red larch where I met my party for the Elemental Evil campaign. We start at level 1. My character has a pretty intense hatred for evil, slavery, and racism. He blindly endangers innocents in his pursuit of “justice” and considers himself judge, jury, and executioner. He believes in freedom so long as that freedom doesn’t harm others. He is very egotistical, headstrong, and stubborn. He never turns down a friendly wager and will do anything to prove his courage when it is challenged. He has OCD and spends time making things around him appease that OCD (often keeping everything uniform, clean, etc). He hates it when people see his true face and on a daily basis he uses his disguise kit to craft a different disguise that changes his race (the goal is to try and convince my allies that I am a changeling just for the fun of it). I have spoken to the DM and since he doesn’t want to limit players we will not have any restrictions. Any UA and any WOTC published material is accessible.

Styles I like:
Indiana jones
batman
rorschach
mariachi from one upon a time in mexico
pirates especially Jack Sparrow
Assassins
skill monkeys
The undead

my questions,
what alignment fits my backstory and preferred style? I typically go lawful evil, but I want to step out of that comfort zone. What background fits my backstory the best or at least gives me proficiencies that fit my backstory since I can refluff the flavor text? Should I go college of lore, whispers, or blades? I’ve narrowed it down to those three already. Based off of the party we have what role should I aim for mechanically? When it comes to diplomacy the paladin will be the face and when t comes to espionage I will be the face. I was thinking of multiclassing with warlock 2 to 5 levels for the invocations and the nice little things that low level locks get. Is this viable? I assume it only is if my role is less utility and more damage.

thanks for the help.

Remove ads