Help me choose a pet...

LightPhoenix

First Post
Thurbane said:
My lease firmly says "no pets without landlords permission", and since my housemate is really, really anal about sticking to anything vaguely resembling a legal document, I would be compelled to be above board about it. So I guess, if the landlord says "no" to any pet, I'm outta luck. But I know people with the same landlord, and from what I heard, they are quite reasonable about things like this.

Well then, before really committing yourself to any choice, I would go talk to the landlord and see what he will allow and what he won't allow.

Also, you mentioned your roomie... if he's not comfortable with one (or more) of the choices, I really think it's only decent manners to at least consider not getting that pet. After all, presumably the roomie is paying half of the rent, and half the utilities.

Merkuri

Explorer
Iku Rex said:
As for the OP, I suggest a budgerigar. I encountered several as a kid and they tend to be social and reasonably intelligent pets. They have most of the advanatges of a large parrot and few of the drawbacks.

I did a lot of research on budgies (aka parakeets) before I got my Senegal, and I think now that I should've stuck with them. If you can, get them hand-fed. It's much harder to find hand-fed ones, since they're already cheap animals and it's cheaper to have the parents feed and raise them, but you'll get a bird that's much less afraid of humans from the get-go and probably more likely to talk.

If you get two budgies then they can keep themselves company while you are away, but they're less likely to bond with you if they have another bird they can bond with. Most people I've talked to recommend getting one bird first, teaching it to be a friendly people-loving bird, then get a second one after the first one is bonded to you. If you keep paying the same amount of attention to the first bird then it'll be more likely to stay bonded to you. The second one probably won't bond with you as much unless you spend tons and tons of time with them both, but having two makes for happier birds. Birds are flock animals, and they can feel very vulnerable and frightened when they're alone.

Iku Rex said:
(I'd try to "potty train" it. Bird walking around in your hair, chittering away - charming. Bird shitting in your hair - not so charming.)

It's very possible to potty train a bird. I've taught Soki to go on command, and I give the command to her before I let her out of the cage, and if she's been out for more than 20 minutes or so I'll put her back in the cage briefly and give her the command again to make sure she goes there and not on me. I've found this was the easiest way to do it, but I've heard others that teach their birds to go only when they're over certain items, like the paper lining in their cage. If you go that route, make sure you always have one of these items within reach of the bird at all times. And be careful what you teach them to go on. For example, if you like to read the paper in the morning and you teach the bird it's okay to go on newspaper, he doesn't know the difference between an unread and a read paper. ;)

I have heard horror stories of birds taught to go on command that have learned to ONLY go on command. One woman had a cockateil that went three days without going when its owner was on vacation. It wouldn't take the command from the person who was petsitting it, and the sitter had to call the owner, put the phone up to the bird, and have the owner give the command over the phone. This tends to be the exception, though.

Last edited:

Merkuri

Explorer
LightPhoenix said:
Well then, before really committing yourself to any choice, I would go talk to the landlord and see what he will allow and what he won't allow.

I had a similar "no pets without permission" clause in my lease, and it was pretty easy to get permission to have Soki. The caveat was that if they got any complaints about noise she'd have to go and I'd be responsible for any damage she did to the apartment. (No complaints yet, and no damage that hasn't been to my own items... she likes remote control buttons and electrical wires.)

get a ferret. I owned one for a while. Don't get a baby if you don't have much time, they are self sufficient but if you can't take care of them early on they can get violent. And if they are descented and you give them a bath every now and again, the scent isn't bad. Also, if you put a couple tins of kitty litter in the corners, they will actually become trained to go in the litter boxes (I found stoffers pans work well). And ferrets are fun, they are curious, furry and can be very playful.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
I say go Ferret:)

When I had one (over 10 years back now) he was a blast...and a chick magnet :).

I haven't read the whole thread, but Ferrets can be litter trained as easily as a cat, don't shed hair all over everything, don't really make much noise and a carved from a solid block of personality :)

They love cuddling, playing and goofing around.

if you have a mouse problem, that problem is over if you own a Ferret.

I loved mine, but he did die of Cancer (which is really common if you get your Ferret from one of the big factory breeders)

Torm

Explorer
Naked Molerat.

Or, out of your three, I think I'd go with the Ferret. But then, I have to admit that I am biased towards mammals. And pets that can post on ENWorld. ;)

Mycanid

First Post
Another vote for the ferret ... at least based on the list of three choices you provided. I am a total cat person, and the ferret is the closest choice to it among them! ;)

KidCthulhu

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Meh. Ferret is dog food, or a chew toy. :]

Yeah, I have to admit sometimes I take my dogs to the PetCO (big pet store) just so they can sniff the ferrets, gerbils and hampsters for sale. They go ga-ga, and would like very much for me to buy them a rodent plaything.

No deal. If they want a rodent, they can do what they usually do, which is chase one down in the woods and kill it themselves.

Ferrets are cute, as my vote, as long as you're prepared for the energy levels and the impact of having a tiny, hyperactive, inquisitive pet who can get into EVERYTHING.

Remove ads