• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me choose spells for my sorcerer.

Pinotage

Explorer
Thanee said:
FEATS BY LEVEL

9 - Assume Supernatural Ability

Bye
Thanee

Where's this feat from? Am I right in assuming it lets you take a supernatural ability when polymorphing or using alter self?

Pinotage

rgutzmer

First Post
This is a list from DR325

1) 0—detect magic, mage hand, read magic, resistance; 1 st— magic missle, shield
2) 0—ray of frost
3) 1 st—sleep
4) 0—light; 2nd—invisibility
5) 1 st—enlarge person; 2nd—mirror image
6) 0—mending, ghost sound (replaces ray of frost ); 3rd—dispell magic
7) 1 st—identify; 2nd—web; 3rd—fireball
8) 0—dancing lights; 1 st—disguise self (replaces sleep); 4 th—polymorph
9) 2nd—touch of idiocy; 3rd—haste; 4 th—stoneskin
10) 0—message; 5 th—dominate person
11) 2nd—spectral hand; 3rd—flame arrows; 4 th—greater invisibility; 5 th—fire shield
12) 3rd—suggestion (replaces fireball); 6 th—chain lightning
13) 4 th—dimension door; 5 th—magic jar; 6 th—disintegrate
14) 2nd—see invisibility (replaces web); 7 th—greater shadow conjuration
15) 5 th—shadow evocation; 6 th—shadow walk; 7 th—plane shift
16) 2nd—detect thoughts (replaces invisibility); 8 th—trap the soul
17) 7 th—greater scrying; 8 th—protection from spells
18) 9 th—shades
19) 8 th—horrid willting; 9 th—meteor swarm
20) 9 th—dominate monster

once again, an 'offical' source generates an inferior answer

Thanee

First Post
Havn't seen these posts earlier, sorry for the late reply. :heh:

Nail said:
Say, Thanee: What level(s) is your PC?

Sorceress 6 / Incantatrix 10

Pinotage said:
Where's this feat from? Am I right in assuming it lets you take a supernatural ability when polymorphing or using alter self?

Savage Species. Correct. It also gives a disadvantage (similar to being shaken).

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Oh, and in case you want to know, I've chosen the Pixie's Greater Invisibility supernatural ability with the feat, which has been quite helpful. :)

Bye
Thanee

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I found that Pyrotechnics was a brilliant first 2nd level spell for my sorcerer to take. Whether underground or above ground fire was easy to come by as a source. It allows you to target Fort Save or Will save depending upon the whether you cast it as smoke or fireworks. As smoke, even if the people in the smoke do save, they can't see. As fireworks it has a truly vast area of effect, and any friendly rogues will love you for making a bunch of people blinded (sneak attack city!).

If you want a bit of offensive punch, you could always go for scorching ray, and later on I can't recommend See Invisibility too highly. Great duration and there is no replacement for it (true seeing is 6th level, has an expensive component and limited to 60ft range for instance).

At a later point False Life is the sorcerers friend too, especially when you can empower it later. It is almost like pre-healing yourself!

Cheers

TheRelinquished

First Post
Well let's see....You seem to be on your way with those first level spells, so let me just go from the second level spells. I suggest that you take Melf's Acid Arrow or Darkbolt for you offensive spells, as they pack a nice initial punch with a nasty aftertaste. Schorching ray is good for direct hits too. And for non-offensive spells, I suggest Rope Trick and Pyrotechnics (per Plane Sailing). Both will fluster opponents.

For the coveted third level, I suggest (of course) Fireball and Lightning Bolt for massive damage and reliability. Also, try Stony Grasp, as it can befuddle enemies to set them against a giant stone hand. Fly is another useful one in this level.

As for the fourth level, I highly recommend Greater Invisibility and Mordenkainen's Force Missiles. The missiles are as good or better than MM, and having a scapegoat like Greater Invisibility is a must. Also, your party members will make it worth spending all your 4th level slots to make the entire party into a killing whisper on the wind...

Any of these you can't find in your book or in the SRD can most easily be found in the d20 Spell Compendium (a must have for casters of all kinds).

Especially if you're a pirate. Which is wrong and I don't condone at all. Even if Limewire is easy to use to find high quality, over-priced items like the d20 Spell Compendium. Utterly and beautifully wrong....

Yeah....

TheRelinquished

First Post
And now for something completely different...

Also, here's an Excel file with an example of how my spell selection may look at level 9. (per the SRD's pre-gen'd caster sheets)

Attachments

• Sorc Book.xls
    26.5 KB · Views: 91

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Let me ask this question: are you 1) trying to optimize the PC for a particular role within a party, 2) trying to emulate a particular character from fiction, or 3) are you trying to create a Sorcerer that is unique?

If the answer is 1, the above suggestions are excellent. Perhaps flawless.

If the answer is 2, give us a little more info about the PC you're emulating.

If the answer is 3, there are other spells to consider: Grease, the Orb spells and Color Spray are all fun spells with a lot going for them. My advice- If you're trying to create a unique Sorcerer, take a little time to go over the spells you (and others) passed over and see if there are one or two that you can find a nifty use for...or perhaps a particular, PC background reason for learning. Sometimes a particular "schtick" can make a PC more memorable or fun to play, even if he's not optimized.

Example: I'm currently playing a PC who has levels as a Diviner (among other classes)...and he's making friends and enemies at a record rate. His lack of offensive (spell)firepower bugs some of the powergamers, but the information gathering ability he has has kept several party members from biting the big one.

Remove ads