• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me choose spells for my sorcerer.

Heckler

First Post
I'm also playing a sorceress for the first time (currently level 7), and loving it. There be much wisdom in the previous posts, and I plan on taking advantage of it.

My two cents. What I like best is that i think the sorceror lends itself very well to character customization.

For example, my sorceress is a desert nomad who is persuing the "bloodline of the dragons" theory.

As a nomad, I'm looking at spells like Phantom Steed and Hidden Lodge. These are spells I think she would naturally learn as they would be useful to her given her background. However, these are far from the best spells of their levels, and I would not take them as the first or maybe even second spells when I get to their levels.

[A quick side note on Phantom Steed. I've already taken it as my second 3rd level spell and its been very useful. But, I'm in a pretty unique setting where we are almost always outside on a flat open plain. I can imagine this spell is not nearly as useful in a dungeon crawl.]

As far as the dragon bloodline, I'm taking some of the draconic feats out of Complete Arcane. Draconic Breath is a good one, as it effectively gives you an offensive weapon as long as you have spells for the day, freeing you up to take a defensive or utility spell. However, you do need to take Draconic Heritage as a prereq, so it may not be worth it for you.

But as I have a Brass Dragon heritage, not only am I planning on spells like Dragon Ally, Dragonskin and Dragonsight, but spells that copy or mimic Brass Dragon abilities: Suggestion, Hiss of Sleep and Summon Monster VII (genie).

As your character is a noble, he might pick up stuff like Unseen Servant and Mord.'s Mag. Mansion. However, neither of those are "power spells" so you'd be better off getting stuff to keep you alive first and pick them up later. In short, crunch first, fluff later.

Or, I suppose, you could just by wands for the fluff. :)

Jens

First Post
Thanee said:
Here's a more current version, but please note, that it's the spell selection for my character, not for a super-optimized character, so it's colored by my personal preferances. It's also for an Incantatrix with prohibited school Evocation. But there will surely be some helpful ideas in there. :)
Hi Thanee,

If you were to drop another school (3.5 specialization), which would it be?

To me, it seems like the trick is to find two schools whee you only want/need low-level spells, and the problem is that most schools have very attractive high-level spells. For example, I think even a high-level sorcerer "should" have a damaging area-spell. Fireball may be sufficient but Delayed Blast Fireball just seems like a much better option (better save and possible delay compared to a twice empowered Fireball).

Other spells I consider to be higher-level "must-haves" which must be made up for somehow:
Conjuration: Greater Teleport (how do you get by without it or Teleport?), Limited Wish
Divination: True Seeing
Enchantment: Charm Monster (do you really find Dominate so much better than Charm?)
Evocation: Wall of Force
Illusion: Greater Invisibility
Necromancy: Horrid Wilting (do you have any spells with fortitude saves?)
Transmutation: Disintegrate, Polymorph Any Object

Amazing Triangle

First Post
Jens said:
Conjuration: Greater Teleport (how do you get by without it or Teleport?), Limited Wish
Well even at 4th level there is the Orbs, as with 2nd level. How can you go wrong with a sphere that does damage with no spell resistance/no Save (secondary effect only save), all it takes is a ranged touch. This is the spell normally on my list if it were a fighter build i would say wraithstrike at second level but it is personal.

I have found that
1-Mage Armor, Magic Missle
2-shieldbearer, Scorching Ray, Lesser Orb (acid or Force)
3-Fireball, Haste
4-Orb of (acid)
5-blink, greater
6-disintegrate, Starmantle (personal note best/most broken spell in game from BoED, non-magicl weapons shatter, magic weapons you get a DC 15 reflex save for half)
7- forcecage, radiant assault
8-iron body, sunburst
9- summon elemental monolith

ceratitis

First Post
no one mentions unseen servent? for a young prince? its almost a must :)
also a bit before the boards crashed someone mentioned a mass unseen servants spell but i have no idea where it's from. he used it as a battle controling spell for helping PCs get weapons that were disarmed, removing enemy weapons that are disarmed, getting healing potions to friends going down, bandeging and stabilizing fallen friends and generaly doing all the things Pcs waste time on like closing/opening doors ect...
sounds real cool.
Z

Remove ads